500,000+ monument photos by RCE being uploaded to Wikimedia Commons
500,000+ monument photos by RCE for Wikimedia Commons
User:Multichill has started batch uploading about half a million images from the Rijksdienst voor het Cultureel Erfgoed (RCE). These are the RCE's own images of Dutch monuments, often historical ones. The images got released some time ago and are now being uploaded to Wikimedia Commons. More information: Commons:Rijksdienst voor het Cultureel Erfgoed
We're asking community members to help improve metadata, mainly by having them tag photos of Rijksmonumenten with the right identifier. In the future we hope to be able to give this metadata back to the RCE so their collection metadata will be improved.
Also read Gerard Meijssen's excellent blog post about this image donation!
Public Domain day 2013 in the Netherlands
Still life with grapes, by George Pletser
The new year means a new group of Dutch artists whose works enter the Public Domain. According to the Dutch Institute of Art history, these artists who died in 1942 are noteworthy and could be documented on Wikipedia. It may be difficult to track down high quality images of their artworks however, so you may need to use your camera to populate a new Commons category. You can also scan Commons:Category:Undeleted in 2013 for inspiration!
- Albert Meilink (1875-03-12 – 1942-05-17), BPN 12232087
- Hobbe Smith (1862-12-07 – 1942-05-01), BPN 44221525
- Adriaan van der Horst, jr. (1868-07-19 – 1942-06-14), BPN 06200184
- George Pletser (1871-06-25 – 1942-10-16), BPN 20211226
- Pieter Puijpe (1874-09-13 – 1942-10-31), BPN 04400658
- Barthold Willem Floris van Riemsdijk (1850-08-30 – 1942-02-23), BPN 65974827
- Henri Savrij (1871-12-13 – 1942-11-30), BPN 84237296
- Henk van der Horst (1912-08-22 – 1942-11-26), BPN 97844408
- Jacob Merkelbach (1877-04-29 – 1942-02-06), BPN 59738525
- Cornelis Leenheer (1869 – 1942), BPN 12274984
- Pieter Hendrik Kouw (1870-08-29 – 1942-03-16)
- Karel Johan Schorer (1870-08-27 – 1942-01-31), BPN 67451797
- Titus Brandsma (1881-02-23 – 1942-07-26), BPN 20410836
- René Moret (1907 – 1942)
- Pieter Kleykamp (1867 – 1942), RKD Kleykamp
- Jacob van Aken (1866-02-09 – 1942-09-12)
- Mozes van den Berg (1866-09-15 – 1942-10-15)
- Jacob Arnoud Carp (1871-06-26 – 1942-06-23), BPN 65974827
- Gerard Leonard Frederik Philips (1858-11-09 – 1942-01-26), an important industrial magnate, art collector, and museum benefactor, BPN 32860964
2013 in other Dutch GLAM news
The Frans Hals museum celebrates 100 years in their historical 400-year-old location, and the Canals of Amsterdam celebrate 400 years of treasured architectural wonders by leading Amsterdam architects and decorative artists. The Frans Hals museum will have a show of key works by Frans Hals in the company of paintings by his famous contemporaries Titian, Rembrandt, Van Dyke, Jordaens and Rubens, from 23 March to 30 June. Amsterdam will have 3 extra editions of the Open monument days for its magnificent canal mansions on 24 March, 26 May, and 14 July, in addition to the traditional European Heritage Days on 14 & 15 September.
No comments yet. Yours could be the first!