Account Creation Improvement Project/Testing content/Account creation form/Frank's proposal
< Account Creation Improvement Project | Testing content(Redirected from Account Creation Improvement Project/Testing content/Login page/Frank's proposal)
Implementation: START HERE
- Title: Just "Create an account" – additional "Log in" is confusing. Brandon mentioned some time ago how beneficial it could be to detach the login from the account creation.
- Progress bar: people need to know at which step of the account creation process they are.
- "Be a part of Wikipedia": This is based on our surveys. People wanting to be a part of Wikipedia was among the reasons that the survey participants mentioned most often.
- Removed clutter: This one should be obvious ;-)
- Picture in the box on the right:
- We learned from the last fundraiser how powerful photos of actual people can be. Donors responded much better to the 2010/11 fundraiser than to earlier approaches without Jimmy's picture.
- People often mention that Wikipedia feels cold / that they don't know who's behind Wikipedia. By integrating pictures of actual community members, people will hopefully get hooked and more interested to get to the next step (maybe there's some other person hiding on the next page).
- We can test which picture works best…
- … and it will be interesting to see if we can get more women to start editing if we have a higher ratio of female community members in this box.
- Text in the box on the right: We should highlight how easy it is to edit and that you can do it as well. We can test which text works best…
- People don't know how they can help Wikipedia. Also, people assume that there's nothing left to do. We will let them choose a topic and then suggest some things they can do.
- Letting new users tell us which skills they have to offer will give us the opportunity to tell them about specific activities they can be involved.
- Tell users what need to be done based on their interest and their skills. Provide a short explanation of how to do it.