Wikipedia as an educational tool
In Bulgaria, various attempts have been made to introduce Wikipedia as a learning tool in university disciplines like Art and Culture, Media Studies, Political Sciences, Intellectual Property and Computer Sciences.
- Ongoing projects
- "Online Media and PR", New Bulgarian University (Fall 2009/2010 - now)
- "Political Philosophy", International Economics and Politics Faculty, University for National and World Economics (Fall 2009/2010 - now)
- "Political Sciences", New Bulgarian University (Fall 2010/2011 - now)
- "Electronic Communications and Markets", University of National and World Economy (Fall 2009/2010 – now; not mentored by a Wikimedian editor)
- Current projects
- "Psychology", Plovdiv University (Spring 2014/2015)
- "Protection of Competition", University of Information Technologies and Library Sciences (Spring 2014/2015)
- Past projects
- "Art and Culture", New Bulgarian University (Fall 2007/2008)
- "Electronic Learning", Faculty of Mathematics and Informatics, Sofia University (Fall 2008/2009)
- "Management decisions and risk", University of National and World Economy (Fall 2010/2011 – Fall 2012/2013, not mentored by a Wikimedian editor)
- "Intellectual property", University of Information Technologies and Library Sciences (Spring 2011/2012)
- "Knowledge sharing and teamwork", "Telerik" Software Academy (July/August 2013)
- Public lectures in universities
- 14 October 2014: Three-hour invited lecture about the use of Wikipedia in educational context, in front of lecturers from the College of Telecommunication and Posts, Sofia (Presentation in Bulgarian)
- 14 May 2013: Guest lecture for the students in the European Studies programme of Sofia University, in their course on "Information Society" (Presentation in Bulgarian)
- 25 March 2011: "Wikipedia from the inside", public lecture in the "Prof. Assen Zlatarov" University in Burgas (Presentation in Bulgarian)
- Public lectures in schools
- Private School "Uwekind", Sofia
Wikipedia and wikis as the core subject of study
"Wikipedia and Wiki Technologies", Plovdiv University
"Wikipedia and wiki technologies" is a 40-hour university course, which is read at the Faculty of Mathematics, Computer Science and Information Technology of the University of Plovdiv during the three trimesters of the academic 2011/2012 and 2012/2013 and during the first trimester of 2013/2014 year. It is especially dedicated to presenting to bachelors in Mathematics, Computer Science and Information Technologies the wikis as software and Wikipedia as an Internet, media and social phenomena, as well as train students use it and contribute to it. The course offers training on technological issues like installing, configuring and maintaining a wiki, as well as issues like writing in encyclopedic style, citing sources, maintaining neutrality, as well as various free licensing and copyright issues.
Lecturers: Vassia Atanasova (User: Spiritia, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences) and Prof. Stanimir Stoyanov (supervising professor from the FMIIT-PU). The next edition of the course is likely to be held during the academic 2014/2015 year.
- Detailed information (in English)
- Coordination page on Bulgarian Wikipedia (in Bulgarian)
- "Designing a Lecture Course on Wikipedia and Wiki Technologies", presentation on Wikimania 2011 in Haifa
"New Media and Participatory Culture", Sofia University
"New Media and Participatory Culture" is a lecture course of the prominent media law expert Prof. Nelly Ognyanova for the students in "European Studies" major in Sofia University. The lecture course aims to present the new media - blogs, social networks and new interactive forms of information dissemination and communication. Traditional and new media are compared in search of answers to the questions about the democratization of media in the digital society, about the new media as instruments of civil participation, as well as regarding their performance in their mission to inform society. Every year, guest lecturers from the areas of traditional and new media, journalism and creative writing are invited to take part. In the 2014/2015 edition of the course, the invited guest lecture is Vassia Atanassova, administrator of the Bulgarian Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons.
- Questionnaire to future educators, who would like to introduce Wikipedia/Wikimedia among their educational practices