Wikimedia UK supports the use of the Wikimedia projects as important tools for education and learning in the UK. In particular this involves working with the higher education sector to see Wikipedia used as a tool for teaching.
Full details of the aims of the organisation are available on their website.
- Queen Mary, University of London
- University of Portsmouth
- University College London
- University of Warwick
- University of Derby
- Wikimedia UK is forming links with national advisory bodies to make sure that relevant information about the Wikimedia projects is available to teaching staff, support staff and educational developers.
- For example, the JISC Centre for Educational Technology and Interoperability Standards has a guide to Wikimedia Commons as a platform for Open Educational Resources.
University Wikimedians in Residence
Wikimedia UK has a Wikimedian in Residence at the University of Edinburgh.
- Lecturers at University of Exeter (Economics Classroom Experiments) and University of Westminster (Political Simulation and Gaming) have used Wikiversity as a learning platform or to for sharing good practice with their colleagues.