From Outreach Wiki
- Unglue.it wants to "free" orphan books"
- Recap, which makes court documents available which otherwise have a fee to get them:
- FedFlix, which initially involved people buying public domain stuff off of Amazon, it got digitized and is on the Internet Archives. A small number of volunteers also went to the National Archives and digitized more videos, as part of FedFlix project.
- MetadataGames is a free and open source software (FOSS) developed by Tiltfactor at Dartmouth College. Metadata Games includes a suite of games that range from casual single player to competitive 2-player. The current MG build has over 40 Collections containing 12,000+ Media items (images, audio, video) from 9 institutions, including the British Library, the Boston Public Library, Open Parks Network, and the American Antiquarian Society.
- link: www.metadatagames.org
- Digitalkoot. National Library of Finland partnered with a microtasking company Microtask, and created a proofreading game for old newspapers.
- Zooniverse develops and runs popular citizen science projects. Based in the University of Oxford and Adler planetarium, new projects are being initiated constantly, https://www.zooniverse.org/
- Transcribe Bentham is a project by the University College of London, transcribing manuscripts by Jeremy Bentham (1748 – 1832)
- Trove by National Library of Australia hosts almost 400M digital objects. The Newspaper proofreading project is a classic.
- New York Public Library Labs creates and host many innovative projects
- http://www.historypin.com/ Creating historical pictures' collections - old vs. new
- Familysearch Tools for rewriting genealogical lists
- The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum Recognizing children from the haulocost period
- recognizing people or objects in photos
- Waisda? tagging video games [dutch]
- Ancestry.com (and Ancestry.co.uk) http://community.ancestry.co.uk/awap
- the Amsterdam Municipal Archives do 'scanning on demand'. Other municipal archives in NL are apparently following that example.
- Project Runeberg
- Collaborative Manuscript Transcription http://manuscripttranscription.blogspot.fi/ FromThePage transcription software
- Proofreading - which contributes to mending errors found in Project Gutenberg
- Ajapaik geotagging and rephotography platform
- More projects here --
- Generic crowdsourcing platform from the OKFN -
- Tools for collaborative transcription