GLAM Boot Camp
Jump to navigation Jump to search
(Redirected from GLAM Bootcamp)
- What tools are out there
- Tips & tricks
- "Getting people caught up."
- 10-20 people at most
- Don't want to invest effort into people who disappear.
- Need resources for training.
Preferably local (and in local language) Target group: Wikimedians vs non-Wikimedians. It shouldn't be a new editor camp, 4 months of community experience at least.
- Introduction to the principles of GLAMs (connecting Wikimedia mission with a GLAM one)
- Dive into the practical things (hands-on approach)
- Do a case study: get a fictional director in and make them practice.
- Writing a one-pager (part of the preperation to learn about one of the cultural institutions they have in mind)
- Making them understand the most often used tools
- Learn how to get yourself organized and document.
- Introduction to how the Wikimedia Commons community works (and show them Cat-a-lot, HotCat, CatScan, GLAMorous as a start)
- Hands on experience: how does a Wikimedia Commons admin work and feel? Deletion flagging, categorization, tagging, renaming etc.
- Introduction on how to explain copyright and free licensing in particular (= we need to teach them copyright first -> should be an on-wiki course so it can be reused in other contexts)
- Run down some of the todo items of the todo list of GLAM projects (hands-on session with support of experienced coaches)
- Event planning: get them introduced to the documentation, practical things, Outreach and inreach
- Conflict of interest issues
Preparation for participants
- Prepare at least one institution: facts and background. They need this for preparing the one-pager.
- Read about the links that are being sent to you.
- Read up on how copyright works.
Preparations for organizers
- Build on best practices
- Alex: prepare a standard for documenting/tracking GLAM's
- Get in touch with WikiAfrica what resources they have
- Get in touch with Frank Schulenburg to see how he can help.
- Writing documentation on event planning.
- Contacting WikiAfrica - Lori will ping Iolanda and send links
- Contacting Frank Schulenburg - Lori will ping and send links
- Getting this on-wiki in a concise way - Lodewijk will do this. (http://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/GLAM_Bootcamp)
- Setting a date for the first one or two such a bootcamps: April 2013? Still complicated to find out if we can fit this together. Give also a default scholarship to the WikiGLAM conference in London?
- Kilian will talk to Wikimedia Germany and possibly also Wikimedia Austria in October/early November about funding for a german language Bootcamp in the spring of 2013 prior to the GLAMwiki Conference
- Setting a budget: hotel rooms, travel costs, per diems, internet, food.. about 500 euro per person worst case? Total budget: 5000 - 10.000 euro budget. Doesn't seem unreasonable.
- US: GLAM Bootcamp/US
- Germany: ...