WikiArS/assignments/Hypothetical portrait of Antoni de Villarroel
Assignment: Illustration of the Hypothetical Appearance of Antoni de Villarroel
There are no surviving contemporary images (paintings or engravings) of deputy marshal Antoni de Villarroel. However, there are records of a uniform he had made in Barcelona in 1713, so we do know something about his attire. We also know that he was around 50 years old at the time of the Siege of Barcelona. But we don't know what he looked like—jowls? high cheekbones? surly?—or how tall he was.
The idea is to create a hypothetical, head-to-toe illustration of this military man wearing the uniform that he is known to have purchased. The drawings of Francesc Riart are an example of the style we are looking for.
Make two illustrations of Antoni de Villarroel wearing the uniform, one of him standing and another of him on horseback.
The first illustration should be a detailed drawing that clearly shows the face (which, remember, is hypothetical), the buttons and embellishments of the uniform, the type of sword, the shape of the three-cornered hat, etc. (a subject-specific adviser will provide these details). The second illustration requires less attention to these details, but the horse's movements must be realistic-looking. Both images should be colored, using whatever technique you feel is most appropriate.
The digitized image should be a bitmap (high-quality scan) or, optionally, a vector format (talk to the tutor if you wish to choose this option).
Sources and references
Previous illustrations of Antoni de Villarroel.
Idealized 19th-century illustrations of Antoni de Villarroel (with corrections noted by the subject-specific adviser).
If you create the illustration on paper:
- Recommended minimum size: DIN A4 (vertical). Photographs of illustrations must be studio photographs. Scans of illustrations must be high-quality, sharp and high-resolution.
- Digitized PNG files must not be compressed.
If you create the illustration as a bitmap:
- Approximate minimum size of the file to be published: 1270 x 1800 pixels (more than 2 Mpx). Approximate recommended size: 1764 x 2500 (more than 4 Mpx). More is better.
- Maximum file size: 100 MB.
If you create a vector graphic (preferable), use the standard SVG format.
Image viewing guidelines:
- Approximate image display dimensions on description page: 500 x 718 pixels.
- Approximate image display dimensions in a Wikipedia article: 348 x 500 pixels.
Keep in mind the approximate display dimensions to ensure that the illustration has an appropriate level of detail for its publication context.
Experts or knowers of this knowledge area that are available to guide the graphic creator, oversees the process of creation and supervise the image before to publish.
- Prof. Francesc Xavier Hernàndez Cardona (University of Barcelona)