WikiArS/assignments/Map of the War of Castilian Succession
This is an assignment created by that gives orientation and references to create an image or file that is necessary for Wikipedia or for some Free Knowledge project.
Assignment: Maps to illustrate the War of Castilian Succession (1475-1479)
Maps to illustrate the most important facts of this war: battle locations; main army and fleet routes; itineraries of key protagonists.
At least the following events should be shown:
- Location of main land battles and troop movements throughout the Crown of Castile
- Main naval campaigns
- Itinerary of king Afonso V of Portugal (in Castile and then in France)
Several maps will likely be necessary due to the wide geographic scope of the events to be covered.
Political borders should be represented as they were in 1475. When choosing which population centers to display on the maps, give priority first to those related to narrated events and then to cities according to their population at the time (not to their population now).
Sources and references
The article in Wikipedia (original in Spanish as well as its translation into English) narrates the most important facts of this war. More detailed information can be obtained by consulting the sources listed as footnotes and the books in the bibliography.
Reference images by style
Good examples of modern military-historical maps can be found in the Spanish Civil War atlases made by Víctor Hurtado. Some examples below.
Iberian peninsula-scale map with representation of troop movements.
Clear visualization of complex land and naval operations.
City-scale map showing urban combat.
If you create the illustration on paper:
- Recommended minimum size: DIN A5 (landscape, horizontal). Photographs of illustrations must be studio photographs. Scans of illustrations must be high-quality, sharp and high-resolution.
- Digitized PNG files must not be compressed.
If you create the illustration as a bitmap:
- Approximate minimum size of the file to be published: 1800 x 1270 pixels (more than 2 Mpx). Approximate recommended size: 2500 x 1764 (more than 4 Mpx). More is better.
- Maximum file size: 100 MB.
If you create a vector graphic (preferable), use the standard SVG format.
Image display guidelines:
- Approximate image display dimensions on description page: 718 x 500 pixels.
- Approximate image display dimensions in a Wikipedia article: 500 x 348 pixels.
Keep in mind the approximate display dimensions to ensure that the illustration has an appropriate level of detail for its publication context.
Experts or knowers of this knowledge area that are available to guide the graphic creator, oversees the process of creation and supervise the image before to publish.
- Hispalois; English, Spanish, French.