Volunteer Assignment Description
The Bookshelf writer will be immersing him/herself in all things Wikipedia, referencing documents, books, personal experience and you, a Wikipedia Wizard.
- Help create resources that will be useful to Wikimedians around the world
- Be part of a complex and challenging project
- Be eligible for an official letter of endorsement by the Wikimedia Foundation
The writer will need to interview Wikipedians who are expert at all things Wikipedia: its culture, community, customs, and editing/writing guidelines. Our writer will have email and phone communications with our Wikipedia Wizard. We anticipate needing 3-6 hours of your time over a period of one month, 30-60 minutes at a time.
- Deep knowledge about, and experience with, Wikipedia regarding culture, community, customs, and editing/writing guidelines
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Able to imagine yourself a newbie again
- Length of commitment
Late Q4, 2009 – early 2010
- Physical location
You will work remotely.
Applicants should be able and willing to join team meetings via Skype or phone conference call from time to time. These team meetings will take place during the working hours in San Francisco, United States (Pacific Standard/Daylight Time).
Providing there is funding, the Wikimedia Foundation will cover the costs for a short trip to our headquarters in San Francisco in order to enable you to participate at the Bookshelf team kick-off meeting.
- How to apply
Please send a cover letter and some details about yourself as to why the Foundation would benefit from your skills in this position by email to mkahn AT wikimedia DOT org. Candidates will be required to identify with the Foundation, if not already identified.