Education/About/Office Hours/August 31 2018
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Ask me & Tell me Anythinghosted by the Wikimedia Foundation Education Team
|Friday, August 31, 16:00 UTC|
Minutes of the meeting:
- Galib: Creating a global policy for Wikimedia Education Program
- There are a variety of activities around the world, diverse contexts. Support best practices that each volunteer can adapt on in their local contexts. Working locally is the global program.
- Global recognition is a need. Venues for that are: Programs Showcase (in September), the Education Newsletter, and Office Hours to help with sharing.
- This is a new direction that follows https://blog.wikimedia.org/2018/01/23/education-survey-report/
- Sailesh: Mapping exercise
- centralized document that shows the diversity of education programs
- will be presented on September 4th
- CIS, as an affiliate can help other initiatives by providing knowledge and documents that
- Mehrdad: experience from Afghanistan
- high levels of illiteracy
- education models have been copied from other countries, with no contextualization
- many Wikimedia Projects could fit with those neeeds
- it would help with critical thinking
- people have phones (not computers)
- Dari versus Farsi (languages reflect identities/politics)
- contributions could be made in Dari
- Thailand: blocked pages (especially the King's page)
- Turkey: Wikipedia blocked
- Sustainable Development Goals: 17a
- offer Wikimedia projects to agencias that work on those goals
- There's a volunteer that has endeavored to promote the Wikimedia Projects in Afghanistan, but political interference makes it difficult.
- Security is a larger challenge than even politics in Afghanistan
- American University of Afghanistan works hard
- Training people outside of Afghanistan could be a solution
- Support communities and what they choose to do. Work with partners is ok, but has to connect to local communities.
- Pashto community: there seems to be poeple contributing (possibly from the diaspora)
- How is Internet access?
- 3G is available almost everywhere
- Analytical/critical engagement with knowledge is fairly low
- Wikifundi: Offline editing of Wikipedia
- Creating a program in Afghanistan (focused on a local language) could be an incubation project.
- Nichole: Education incubation project
- project will offer training modules on topics such as project management, basic accounting, evaluation, ...
- Applications will be open soon
- Nichole: New Readers team at WMF
- Focus: how to read information critically
- this is a global need
- a package will be published next year
- Galib: videos on youtube about Wikimedia and education
- creating more videos would be useful
- there are a lot of videos that have been created by local communities. The Education Team at WMF have to do a better job of curating those resources.
- Mehrdad: looking at the 3 top priorities, does this mean these are all efforts that come from the community
- efforts are made by the wiki-ecosystem that includes volunteers, Affiliates, communities, and the educators