Education/Greenhouse/teamsubmissions/Open Education Bangladesh
Wikimedia & Education Greenhouse - Team Application Form
Before starting your application, make sure all members of your team have read and understood the team application guidelines.
Open Education Bangladesh (OEB) will be a Wikimedia & Education Greenhouse project or initiative that targets to making knowledge and data freely accessible to everyone. The project will support, conduct and collaborate underprivileged student from junior and secondary high schools, colleges, institutions, universities and Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) school in Bangladesh based on open education. Being a third-world country still there are lots of scope and opportunities to move for the open movement. This project will help, train and educate students or learners and teachers or educators to capture open skills on their perspective and contribute to the open society in the educational platform which can make a difference through learning issues on the Wikimedia projects such as Wikipedia, Wikisource, Wikivoyage, Wikimedia Commons, Wikidata, and more. The project is designed based on the strategic movement of the Wikimedia community by 2030.
The Project will offers to make partnership in with various educational institutions and learners societies and educational projects run by foreign commission in Bangladesh.
What idea do you want to bring to the W&E Greenhouse?
Based in our experience, we believe that Wikimedia & Education project focused all the Wikimedia protects on various educational institutes throughout Bangladesh. Through the Wikimedia & Education Greenhouse, the team wish to expand the scope of OEB by engaging educators through institutionalizing Wikipedia as a medium of delivering knowledge in the classrooms, which includes:
- Organize training and workshops to educate the students, learners and educators on open knowledge
- Organize training and workshops to educate the students, learners and educators on the use of open content to the open encyclopedia
- Train to educators and make them trustworthy to use Wikipedia in the classroom to understand open culture and movement
- Expand open activities to underprivileged and remote areas in Bangladesh
- To form WikiClubs/WikiSociety in the educational institutes to facilitate students and teacher to make efficient
Above goals could be elaborated during project session based on probability and ideas gather. This will be our pilot project experiment; intended for 12 months, is also elaborated below in a separate section.
Who would you engage in your initiative?
Example: We already worked with volunteers of the local Wikimedia chapter, user community, and have strong relationship with them.
- Chittagong Wikipedia Community
- Wikimedia Bangladesh
- Bangladesh Open University
- Creative Commons Bangladesh
- Embassy of Japan in Bangladesh
In terms of financial resources, how much money would you need to achieve your goals?
Indicate your local currency and describe how you would divide your budget for this project.
How will you know your project has succeeded?
As a member of the Wikimedia Bangladesh and Chittagong Wikipedia Community, we have previous experience to run this kind of education program all over the country. In previous, we led and organised several workshops in eight divisional regions of the country.
What are the biggest challenges you foresee in the implementation of your idea and how would you address them?
- The common challenge will be that some of the teachers we want to work with don’t trust in Wikipedia as a reliable source.
- The biggest challenge we see here is to get the schedule in the target schools because there is normally tight schedule in most the school with their different types of exams in Bangladesh as we face in the previous program.
- Instability of internet connection for the various academic institution.
- Killing much time on approval of proposal letters by the institute' authority when sent via mail.
- We can assure them Wikipedia is enough reliable other National Encyclopedia (i.e. Banglapedia). And nowadays we have lots of profs that most of the news media already published various news which data gathered from Wikipedia.
- The team will prepare a program plan based on school timing as well as exam schedules.
- We are looking for seeking support from the social organisations and if not possible we will bring and provide internet where it necessary.
- We plan to contact directly for getting approval and will connect to the key members of the institutions to move easily.
Why do Wikimedia projects belong in education?
- We hope that by the project participants would believe that Wikipedia is a house of open knowledge and will be a part of this knowledge building.
- Participants can acquire technical skills that would be useful to contribute to the open movement.
Why do you want to join the W&E Greenhouse?
- Our team will join the W&E Greenhouse project because we have ideas, skills and previous experience to run this kind of project that can be sustainable and efficient.
- We have the plan to take support from the Wikimedia Education Project management online course that can boost our skills and knowledge.
- As we are mainly working to enrich Bengali content on encyclopedia to take global space.
- Another goal is gender gap- and we already took such initiative to make the change this situation in the circumstance of the country.
- Getting more volunteers to support Wikimedia education programs in Bangladesh, such as students, educators and researchers.
Who are the members of your team?
- Moheen Reeyad (Project & Technical Lead) - User:Moheen, Email: email@example.com
- Mohammed Galib Hasan (Project Manager) - User:Mohammed Galib Hasan, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Muhammad Nurul Islam (Advisor), Honorary consul general of Japan in Chittagong, Bangladesh.
- S.M.Sazzadul Haque Tanim (Task Based Volunteer) - User:S.M.Tanim, Email: email@example.com
- Tameem mahmud (Task Based Volunteer) User:Tameem Mahmud 007, Email:
- Rafi Bin Tofa (Task Based Volunteer) User:Rafi Bin Tofa, Email:
Where is your team located?
The team is located in Bangladesh
What languages does your team speak?
The team is a native Bengali speaker but proficient in the English Language. And also fluent in some local languages.
Have any members of your team been involved in organizing other Wikimedia outreach initiatives?
- Wikicamp Chattogram 2019, Chattogram, Bangladesh
- Inauguration Ceremony of Sri Jayewardenepura University Wiki Club, Nugegoda, Sri Lanka
- Wikipedia Education Program in ICETC 2018, Tokyo, Japan
- WikiProject Engineering Workshop at IIUC, Chittagong, Bangladesh
- Wikipedia Education Program in Bangkok, Thailand
- Wikipedia Workshop at MSI, Srilanka
- User:Moheen - Organised and led Wikimedia education programs in Bangladesh.
- Wikicamp Chattogram 2019, Chattogram, Bangladesh
- Wikipedia Workshop with Christel Steigenberger, East Delta University, Chattogram, Bangladesh
- Wikipedia Workshop with Christel Steigenberger Rajshahi University, Rajshahi
- Bangla Wikipedia Workshop, Chittagong Independent University, Chattogram, Bangladesh
- Bangla Wikipedia School Program, Agrabad Government Colony High School (Boys' section), Chattogram, Bangladesh
- Bangla Wikipedia School Program, Agrabad Government Colony High School (Girls' section), Chattogram, Bangladesh
- Bangla Wikipedia School Program, Chattogram Collegiate School, Chattogram, Bangladesh
- Bangla Wikipedia School Program, Government Muslim High School, Chattogram, Bangladesh
- Bangla Wikipedia Workshop at Metropolitan University, Sylhet, Bangladesh
Which members of your team will join the “Wikimedia & Education Project Management” online course?
How did you learn about this opportunity?
We learned about the opportunity on Wikimedia Education Office Hour, as well as education Mailing list.
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a Village Pump, talk page, mailing list, etc.--> Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
Do you think this project should be selected to participate in the W&E Greenhouse? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project below! (Other constructive feedback is welcome on the discussion page).
- Support User:Mohammed Galib Hasan has been a very active Wikimedian and previously run a number of successful projects in the past --Athikhun.suw (talk) 10:56, 17 May 2019 (UTC)