Education/News/February 2018/The Education Extension is being deprecated
The Education Extension is being deprecated (second call)
Author: Vahid Masrour
Summary: The Education Extension is in the process of being taken offline, it's time to move to the Programs & Events Dashboard.
As mentioned last month, it is important for anyone still using the Education Extension to start transitioning to the Education Dashboard.
As part of this process, please help us share this message to people that are currently using the Education Extension: ________________________________________________________________
Over the years many issues have been discovered from our engineering colleagues regarding the Education Extension, including security concerns. For this reason, and with a viable alternative platform available, we are starting the process to deprecate the extension and having it uninstalled where it has been activated. This includes this wiki Special:Courses.
This means that the following steps will be taken:
- New programs are discouraged from using the extension and encouraged to use the Programs and Events Dashboard.
- Current ongoing programs will be supported, until the month of June, 2018.
- On June 30, 2018, the Education Extension will be shut down.
- If you are still running an education program that uses the Education Extension, please take the appropriate measures and also reach out to your colleagues and communities so they are also aware.
It should be noted that data of previous programs that ran on the Education Extension will remain safe, and we are working on documenting how to access that data.
Thus, we invite all Education Program Leaders (and users of the Education Extension) to take the online training for the dashboard so that you can benefit from this tool and make your work easier.
Did you know you can also use the P&E Dashboard at edit-a-thons, writing competitions, and other Wiki-based activities? More training courses for the dashboard are available here, so take a look!
Do you need to communicate with us about this?
- If you have comments or questions, please reach out to the Education Team at education AT wikimedia.org, or the Programs and Events Dashboard group at dashboard AT wikimedia.org
- If you use Phabricator, you can also go to: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T125618
- You are also welcome to share questions+comments on https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Education/Extension#Transitioning_to_the_Programs_and_Events_Dashboard_in_2018.
Micro update on the Programs & Events Dashboard
Tags: Education Extension