Education/News/February 2021/Education news bytes
Wikimedia Education news bytes
Author: EduWiki Outreach Collaborators, Mohammed Galib Hasan Abir, Owula kpakpo, Brazal.dang, Neboysha87, JamaicanEditor, José Reyes, Camelia.boban
Summary: Wikimedia Education news bytes are updates from the community specialist group of the EduWiki Outreach Collaborators. They monitor the activities happening in different regions and sharing them as short stories with the wider community. It will be published bi-monthly.
- October 2020
- Wikimedians from ESEAP Region had a regional meeting to discuss regional activities and strategies. Imelda was able to share information about the EWOC, the Education newsletter and was able to gather contact information of some of the UG's Education Coordinators. She also shared the communication channels, where they can share their programs and activities about Education and Wikimedia projects.
- AfroCROWD, in collaboration with Young Entertainment Activists (YEA) & New York University (NYU) Los Angeles, is holding a series of Wikipedia edit-a-thons ― that began on October 14, 2020, and continued up to November, with three online classes at NYU LA. The full write-up will come in the November edition (when the interaction ends).
- November 2020
- Wikimedia Argentina released a series of booklets entitled "Enseñar con Wikipedia" (Teaching with Wikipedia) designed to work with Wikimedia Projects in the classroom.
- Wikimedia Chile developed the virtual course "Educación colaborativa" (Collaborative Education), which had the modality of a seminar-workshop aimed at teachers of all educational levels for the formation of critical skills for digital citizenship
- Wikimedia México, after successfully completing the social service project with Tec de Monterrey, has sought to consolidate the alliance by 2021. For this reason, work will continue on the project entitled "Wikipedia en la vida escolar" (Wikipedia in school life).
- From Latin America, the year was closed with a Postfellow meeting that allowed the different coordinators of the Wikimedia educational programs to share what 2020 left from the experiences, learnings, and future steps in the region. A video will be released to share with the entire educational community.
- December 2020
- Wikimedians of Republika Srpska has organized a Competition on Wikipedia about tradition and customs.
- January 2021
- Wikimedia Serbia has organized the first online seminar for teachers. Although we do not have official accreditation for online seminars, we have received approval from the Ministry of Education to hold it due to the global pandemic. This was important to us because in this way the positive impact of everything we do was recognized.
- Wikimedians of the Caribbean (WikiCari) began its second year of Wikipedia in Education initiatives with the University of the West Indies in Jamaica. This year's focus builds on Female Caribbean authorship & Emergent Gender Issues. The course continues to build on gender advocacy and perspectives and uses Wikipedia as a tool to increase female editorship.
Thanks to all the volunteers who are part of this group for collecting stories from the community and sharing it with us.
Social Media channels or hashtags: #EWOC #EduWiki