Sara Mörtsell, Education Manager Wikimedia Sweden, paid staff.
Our program has been running since 2012 and we are steadily building our network with institutions throughout the Education system. We now have an updated training module in place introducing the course pages extension on Wikipedia. Wikimini is a useful tool for children and their teachers to understand Wikipedia and free licenses. Our target group is key educators in a variety of educational contexts, k-12, higher education, Swedish for immigrants program, International training programs targeting developing countries, and the Swedish non-formal educational system for lifelong learning.
Timeline of activities
Open Badges in 2014
In 2014, we started issuing open badges for educators and students to recognize their skills and merits.
Trainings on Wikiversity
- 3 courses on Swedish Wikiversity. 1 for teachers in high-school, one for ambassadors, and one training module for teachers and learners in the SFI-program.
- 1 person employed at a university as a 'help-desk' Wikipedian for Phd & research students, 2013.
SFI: Swedish for Immigrants 2013
- One year project with three teachers teaching adult immigrants Swedish, 2013.
- Resource for teachers and students in the SFI program on Wikiversity, 2014.
Ambassador training in 2013
- A few people have gone through the ambassador-training and are now able to support in their educational setting.
Wikimini launched in 2013
We also encourage schools and learning institutions to get involved in Wikimini (http://sv.wikimini.org/wiki/Huvudsida) the free Swedish encyclopedia for children, year 1-7. Wikimini was successfully launched in 2013 and now has a small body of initial content that we can build on with educators in order to support an emergent Wikimini community.
Videos from 2015
- A series of 4 tutorials for beginners focusing on using VisualEditor.
- 1 video about how to assess the reliability and quality of a Wikipedia article.
- 3 tutorials for teachers using Wikimini, the free encyclopedia in Swedish for children.
- Training and guide for teachers on Swedish Wikipedia: Träning för pedagoger
- Training and guide for students on Swedish Wikipedia: Träning för studenter
- Training and guide for teachers on Swedish Wikiversity: Wikipediakurs för pedagoger
- Education newsletter: The benefits of teaching with Wikipedia broadcasted on Swedish National Radio
- Education newsletter: Mid-year Summary from the Wikipedia Education Program in Sweden
- Education newsletter: Students nominated for their MOOC on Swedish Wikiversity