Education/Greenhouse/teamsubmissions/Alva's Wikipedia Students Association
Wikimedia & Education Greenhouse - Team Application Form
Before starting your application, make sure all members of your team have read and understood the team application guidelines.
What idea do you want to bring to the W&E Greenhouse?
Describe the context, theme, goals, strategies, duration of your proposed initiative. Be as detailed as possible.
- Creating more women Wikipedia learners (Undergraduate Students) and make them to contribute maximum in women related articles.
- Creating awareness among women in public through the student's group. (Connecting Woman to Woman)
- Awareness among the students at colleges regarding Wikimedia movement, so that we can get a good number of students on board. We will be doing this by doing the following activities:
- A poster describing the Wikimedia movement and its benefits will be created and put on the Notice board, College website and others.
- A short welcoming video to the students of the Wikimedia movement and its benefits will be circulated over the social media channels and University mailing list.
- Monthly presentations by the students on Wikipedia work.
- Presenting research paper and writing articles on a specific area such as science, commerce, arts etc. (Once in 3 months)
- Internship works during vacation and presenting research work after completion (Once in SIX months) to develop the following this among students:
- To introduce the Wikimedia projects, which involves collaborative work, research skill etc.
- To help the students to enhance their digital skill, do a critical evaluation of information, consumption, and creation of open knowledge resources.
- To enrich the content of Indic language Wikimedia projects, which also train the students to access the information in vernacular languages and contribute to the worldwide web.
- Leadership training workshops to boost students’ interest (Once in SIX months).
- Arranging “Guest talks on Wikipedia work” in collaboration with different community people
- Online interactions or Skype interactions with guest speakers.
- Edit-a-thons based on the need of particular Wikipedia community
- College level Edit-a-thon to retain the interest of students.
- Extending the usage and creating awareness among the public
- Training from our college students to the sister concerns of our organisation.
- Advance training for the students to learn advanced tools related to Wikipedia and its sister project editing.
- Offline Wikipedia training to the schools and colleges, at the end of this training participants, will be able to use Kiwix software and also understand the basics of Wikimedia projects.
Who would you engage in your initiative?
Describe the kind of relationships you have or plan to establish with potential partners in your community, both in your local Wikimedia community and education community.
We would be engaging the students and faculty members from the following institutions and 2 different schools:
- Alva's College of Hospital Administration
- Alva's College of Medical Laboratory Technology
- Alva's College of Nursing
- Alva's College of Physiotherapy
- Alva's Institute of Engineering &Technology
we will also collaborate with the Global Education community to help us to understand and run more about the WikiSummer camps for the school students.
In terms of financial resources, how much money would you need to achieve your goals?
Indicate your local currency and describe how you would divide your budget for this project.
|Number||Category||Number of units||Cost per unit (INR)||Total cost INR||Total in USD|
|2||Food for Event Participant||200||100||20,000||280|
|4||Banners, Pamphlets, Handouts, Photos||400||80||32,000||448|
|Number||Category||Number of units||Cost per unit (INR)||Total cost INR||Total in USD|
How will you know your project has succeeded?
Describe potential evaluation plans, indicators, tools, etc. that will help you identify if you have achieved your goals
- Number of events: 12
- Number of participants: 250
- Number of new editors: 100
- Number of articles created or improved: 300
- Number proofread page on Wikisource: 400
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events): 40
The above metrics tell if our team has succeeded in this project or not. We will be measuring these will help of Program & Events Dashboard
What are the biggest challenges you foresee in the implementation of your idea and how would you address them?
Be as detailed as possible.
- The biggest worry for our team is the Internet and Laptop issue.
- We will be talking to the management of Institutions and Libraries to support us to allow sing of the computers for the students.
Why do Wikimedia projects belong in education?
Share your team’s perspectives on the value of Wikimedia projects in education.
- We believe that it's very important for the upcoming student generation to develop their Digital literacy skills to go with the modern generations. Wikimedia projects are is one of the best and easy platform to teach students.
- When students get involved with the Wikimedia movement they get to understand more about problem-solving skills and Critical thinking. Which is very important the students.
- Students will be able to improve their knowledge, skills of formulating thoughts, writing skills, concentrations skills and even their thinking skills by working with Wikimedia projects.
Why do you want to join the W&E Greenhouse?
Share your main reasons for applying, motivation, expectations, and what you would like to achieve by the end of this experience.
- We are a group of Wikimedians having the interest to run a sustainable Wikimedia Education program. We are expecting the Greenhouse to be the best platform and Wikimedia Education project management online course will help provide a set of skills for my team, which is very important to run a sustainable Education program.
Who are the members of your team?
Indicate who will be the main focal point and the roles/responsibilities each member would have during the development of your project. Make sure your Wikimedia usernames are properly linked.
Where is your team located?
Keep in mind that all team members should be in the same location for the on-site visits from the WMF Education team. These visits will be scheduled in advance in consultation with the selected team.
Our team is located in [(Dakshina Kannada)], Karnataka, India.
What languages does your team speak?
Please, keep in mind that for this first edition of the Greenhouse the main language of communication will be English. The team is proficient in English, Kannada, Tulu, Telugu and Hindi Languages.
Have any members of your team been involved in organizing other Wikimedia outreach initiatives?
Please, provide links to newsletters/photos/documentation if available.
Yes, We have started a Students Association named as Alva's College Moodubidire-Wikipedia Student Association. You can find all the activities which we have done previously.
Which members of your team will join the “Wikimedia & Education Project Management” online course?
Remember at least one member of your team needs to join and fully complete the online course.
How did you learn about this opportunity?
We came to know about this project by an Informal meeting held at Wikimedia+Education Conference 2019 and also by Social media posts.
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a Village Pump, talk page, mailing list, etc.--> Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
Do you think this project should be selected to participate in the W&E Greenhouse? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project below! (Other constructive feedback is welcome on the discussion page).
- I endorse this project because woman-centered projects will hopefully bring more women into Wikipedia, as editors and in article representation. There is a mention of libraries (to use computers), but as a librarian I would also suggest incorporating librarians into the training - when librarians are involved, they can help further the goals of the project. Bridges2Information (talk) 22:55, 14 May 2019 (UTC)
- Having a women-centric initiative as a greenhouse project is an interesting idea, which if successful, could be then used as a model in other settings in India and outside it. The fact that members of the team are experienced is an important one and given support, I believe this could be successful and impactful, as well as connect well with other initiatives in India, outside the Wikimedia Movement. Shani. (talk) 20:12, 18 May 2019 (UTC)
- I endorse this program. Alvas Wikipedia student association very good work indic wiki projects --Lokesha kunchadka (talk) 12:01, 19 May 2019 (UTC)
- Looks like a good project. Alva's Wiki association is doing good work. I endorse this.--Vikashegde (talk) 13:51, 20 May 2019 (UTC)
- I know some members of the team and have seen their enthusiasm. All the best. I totally support this project. -Manavpreet Kaur (talk) 14:04, 21 May 2019 (UTC)
- Keep it up. You are doing great job. All the best.I support you..
- Big support for this women centric project. Nitesh Gill (talk) 04:48, 22 May 2019 (UTC)
- I support the project. Nettime Sujata (talk) 09:05, 22 May 2019 (UTC)
- This is an awesome project. I strongly support it. Pranavshivakumar (talk) 02:29, 25 May 2019 (UTC)
- Truly this will be a strenuous backbone for developers specially for a woman.I support this project.Yakshitha (talk) 16:26, 26 May 2019 (UTC)
- Support I support this project because this helps in reducing gender gap in wikimedia projects. Naga sai sravanth (talk) 08:56, 2 June 2019 (UTC)
- Support Education and empowerment are strongly connected in this project, which makes it rather special and worth supporting. If computers can be arranged alternatively --I remember there was a program for hardware donation within the WMF--, the budget could fall within the limit of a rapid grant. In this context, perhaps, on-site support and access to the online course on project management could be arranged. I am saying this because even if the selection committee agrees another team should be given the Greenhouse support, there might still be a way to make this great project work. --Joalpe (talk) 11:53, 28 May 2019 (UTC)
- Support good proposal --J. Ansari Talk 16:43, 7 June 2019 (UTC)