Education/Greenhouse/teamsubmissions/Wiki Citizenship Education
Wikimedia & Education Greenhouse - Team Application Form
Before starting your application, make sure all members of your team have read and understood the team application guidelines.
What idea do you want to bring to the W&E Greenhouse?
Describe the context, theme, goals, strategies, duration of your proposed initiative. Be as detailed as possible.
Context: We intend to contribute to the development of the projects of the Wikimedia Foundation in the region of ABC - São Paulo. With focus and pilot project in the city of São Caetano do Sul.
Theme: Wikieducation in higher education courses
Goals: Diffusion of the wiki philosophy among teachers and students of undergraduate courses (Higher Education) in Brazil and to contribute to the development of educational projects on Wikimedia platforms in the Global South.
Strategies: Work with integrated projects of undergraduate courses as a contribution to the development of articles about the historical and cultural patrimony of São Caetano do Sul city and the region of ABC (São Paulo - Brazil).
Duration: 01 year
- 1st semester:
- Meeting with the principals involved in the proposal development (principals, coordinators, teachers and students) and explanation of the project. Planning of practical activities involving Wikipedia, :Wikimedia Commons and Wikidata according to each teacher's lesson plan. Teacher training on the proper use of Wikimedia and Outreach platforms.
- Entries Edition on Wikipedia: 05 workshops
- Upload images on Wikimedia Commons: 05 outreach dashboard programs
- Wikiversity courses: 02
- 2nd semester:
- Project documentation and practical activities with students.
- Implementation of wiki methodology in the classroom, according to planning discussed in the first semester.
- Seminar about using the Wikimedia platforms in the classroom.
- Photographic outings with students to register monuments and important places of São Caetano (Photographic Missions).
- Integration Workshops of Wikipedia and Wikidata with students.
- Activities of improvement and creation of contents about São Caetano in Wikipedia. A pilot will be based on Integrated Projects with classes of History of Art, Contemporary History and Methodology of Scientific Research: "Arts in the ABC Cities: history and trajectories".
Who would you engage in your initiative?
In the pilot project, we will involve the Rector and Pro-Rector of Graduation of the São Caetano do Sul Municipal University (USCS).
USCS has signed a cooperation agreement with UNESCO focusing 17 goals of the Sustainable Development Objectives to be achieved by 2030. We intend to work on "Partnerships for the Goals" with the engagement of the University's undergraduate teachers in the direction of the "Citizenship Education for the 21st Century" proposed by UNESCO.
The proposal also indirectly acts on the goals of "Quality Education" and "Sustainable Cities and communities."
We intend to follow and encourage the Intermunicipal Consortium of the ABC Cities to participate in the edition of entries related to the Sustainable Development goals.
"Consisting of the municipalities of Santo André, São Bernardo do Campo, São Caetano do Sul, Mauá, Ribeirão Pires and Rio Grande da Serra, the Intermunicipal Grande ABC Consortium promotes the planning and articulation of regional actions. Created in 1990, the entity became the first multisectoral consortium of public law and autarchic nature of the country in February 2010. "
In terms of financial resources, how much money would you need to achieve your goals?
We need financial help to:
- acquire gadgets, such as a computer and a camera
- hold meetings and edit-a-thons (posters, certificates and food)
- support wikimedian ambassadors that will be responsible for organizing monthly activities with university professors and students
Other unforeseen expenses can be included throughout the development of the project, so that here are pointed out the main demands that we imagine for the project. The budget was calculated based on the average scholarships for masters students and on the average price of the the necessary equipments in Brazil
Indicate your local currency and describe how you would divide your budget for this project
The local currency is BRL and the budget for this project will be as following:
|Category||Item description||Total amount in BRL||Total amount in USD|
|Gadgets||2 notebooks and 1 camera||2.300,00 BRL + 1.500,00 BRL||959,31 USD|
|Meetings||Posters, certificates and food for edit-a-thons||1.600,00 BRL (printed material) + 1.800,00 BRL (food and drinks for 5 edit-a-thons)||858,33 USD|
|Wikimedian ambassadors||Support for 2 Wikimedian ambassadors||2.043,00 BRL x 12 months x 2||12.378,07 USD|
|Total||56.232,00 BRL||14.195,71 USD|
How will you know your project has succeeded?
The project can be evaluated by indicators of edition of articles and the publication of entries in the regional media. Indicators will be gathered by using the outreach dashboard during events (Outreach Dashboard Indicators). Otherwise, in the case of Wikimedia Commons and multimedia content, GLAMorgan will be used.
What are the biggest challenges you foresee in the implementation of your idea and how would you address them?
We are proposing a change in perception regarding Wikipedia and Wikimedia by teachers and other professionals linked or not to the area of education.
Here, in Brazil, there is an educational culture inclined to discredit Wikipedia as a platform of reliable and quality content due to the editable character and susceptible to vandalism and misinformation.
On the other hand we look for a greater transparency on the debates related to the goals of Sustainable Development and the diffusion of the wiki culture among university students.
To address these challenges, the project focuses on practical activities to engage teachers and students with the wikimedia culture in the classroom in order to experiment new methodologies and generate content of public interest as they move beyond the boundaries of the university.
The dynamic of the wiki culture affects anyone with Internet access who has an interest in the subjects it deals with. The scope of the project initially foresees the training of teachers so that the students can then be actively engaged in the activities.
We would like to bring the regional press to this issues and bring a non-academic contributors to the project.
Why do Wikimedia projects belong in education?
For us, Wikimedia is related to the development of active learning methodologies.
It allows integration between teachers and students in the training to integrate interdisciplinary, theoretical and practical projects.
It allows the integration between the knowledge of professionals and amateurs concerned with common interests in the production of local and regional memory
It can become, increasingly, a source of reliable consultation and popularization of scientific knowledge among students at various educational levels
It also helps to explore the potential of digital skills.
Wikimedia platforms associated with education projects can assist in the training of critical, creative citizens who solve problems and are alert to his connection to the community. This collective knowledge can be articulated by some appropriated platforms of free content.
Why do you want to join the W&E Greenhouse?
We are sociologists, teachers and journalists who combine our experiences on Wikimedia platforms in a variety of ways.
We are enthusiastic about the development of collaborative projects and the production of free knowledge.
We believe in the expansion of scientific journalism and its contribution in the most diverse areas of education programs.
As an undergraduate and postgraduate degree teacher, I will be responsible for the project.
I hope to improve my knowledge of editing, categorization and the understanding of the structure of Wikimedia platforms (particularly Wikibooks, Wikiversity, Wikimedia Commons and Wikidata).
I want to understand all the aspects of the copyright policy used in the documents raised and how they can be transferred to Wikimedia platforms.
The two journalists who will work as wikipedian ambassadors are moving to an academic career (Érica in the area of Digital Humanities and Giovanna in History), and will help to amplify this goals.
We would like to help to build a regular and regional group of Wikipedians.
The implementation of such a project will be important to bring us closer to the daily experience of undergraduate teachers and we hope to contribute with an exchange of perspectives, because (Erica, Giovanna) have more experience in Wikimedia environments and little experience as undergraduate teachers.
We want to understand the main challenges of implementing active learning methodologies in this environment in our socioeconomic context and how a culture of education linked to the Wikimedia platforms can improve the experience of teachers and students.
- Érica Azzellini: Graduated in Journalism in 2017.
Between 2018 and 2019, was a fellowship in a Scientific Journalism research program in which developed practical and theoretical research on Computational Journalism and structured narratives with Wikidata.
She held Wikidata and Wikipedia integration workshops with journalism students from the Cásper Líbero Faculty, as well as organized Wikidata technical trainings and Wikipedia edit-a-thons.
In the development of the project, will act as Wikimedia ambassador, assisting in the implementation of Wikimedia platforms in the undergraduate courses of the Municipal University of São Caetano do Sul. Will work mainly with Wikidata and Wikipedia interfaces, giving practical workshops for teachers and students.
- Giovanna Fontenelle: Graduated in Journalism in 2017 and is finishing up a degree in History in 2019.
Between 2018 and 2019, she had a fellowship in a Scientific Journalism research program in which she developed a research about the digital convergence of works of art in the context of GLAM and Google Art Project initiatives.
She carries out the uploading and the activities of the Paulista Museum GLAM, where she is a Wikimedian-in-Residence. In 2018, she received a scholarship for the GLAMWiki Conference 2018, in Tel Aviv, where I presented a panel about "What are the good models for GLAM pages on-wiki?".
She also carried out educational activities in the Wikimedia context, such as the production of audio files of famous Brazilian paintings by journalism students from the Cásper Líbero Faculty, for the Wikimedia Commons, to help people with visual deficiency. In 2018, she presented a seminar about art and GLAMs at Municipal University of São Caetano do Sul.
In terms of events, she has held editathons, Wikidata Labs and other events. In the development of the project, will act as Wikimedia ambassador, assisting in the implementation of Wikimedia platforms in the undergraduate courses of the Municipal University of São Caetano do Sul. Will work with Wikidata, Wikipedia interfaces and Wikimedia Commons, giving practical workshops for teachers and students.
- Liraucio Girardi Jr: Bachelor in Social Sciences and Master in Political Science (University of Campinas- UNICAMP). PhD in Sociology at the University of São Paulo (USP).
I published several academic papers in the area of Sociology, Cultural Studies, Communication Theory, Media Theory and Digital Culture.
Professor/Researcher: Master's Degree in Public Interest Communication - Municipal University of São Caetano do Sul (USCS)since 1997
Professor/Researcher: Bachelor's Degree in Communication - Casper Líbero College (São Paulo) since 1993.
I've been working on a Wikibook "Sociology and Communication" (designed to be read at the smartphone) and intend to integrate it into a Wikiversity course and Wikipedia entries.
I intend to produce another Wikiversity Course linked to the USCS Master's Degree Program (Communication of Public Interest): "Digital Culture, Humanities and Commons Knowledge"
Where is your team located?
Our team is located in São Paulo, Brazil. the city is on the side of São Caetano do Sul and other ABC cities (Santo André, São Bernando and São Caetano).
What languages does your team speak?
- Portuguese (mother tongue)
- English (advanced)
- Spanish (intermediary)
Have any members of your team been involved in organizing other Wikimedia outreach initiatives?
Érica and Giovanna were recipients of the Programa José Reis de Incentivo ao Jornalismo Científico (Mídia Ciência) fellowship by the Foundation for Research Support of the State of São Paulo (FAPESP), in which they developed researchs linked to the Wikimedia platforms.
Their projects had a theoretical and practical character, so they mainly used in their execution Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons and Wikidata. They are involved in GLAM Wiki projects in Brazil. Giovanna is Wikimedian-in-Residence at Museu Paulista.
Érica developed, with the user Éderporto, the tool Mbabel for generation of automatic drafts in Wikipedia with structured data from Wikidata. Both participated in editathons, both generating new entries and ministering the editing workshops.
Below, some documentation of our activities with outreach initiatives:
- GLAM/Newsletter/April 2019/Contents/Brazil report
- GLAM/Newsletter/January 2019/Contents/Brazil report
- GLAM/Newsletter/December 2018/Contents/Brazil report
- GLAM/Newsletter/September 2018/Contents/Brazil report
- GLAM/Newsletter/August 2018/Contents/Brazil report
- GLAM/Newsletter/July 2018/Contents/Brazil report
- Artes e Feminismos São Paulo 2019
Which members of your team will join the “Wikimedia & Education Project Management” online course?
How did you learn about this opportunity?
Indication of more experienced friends, who are also linked to educational activities on the Wikimedia platforms.
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a Village Pump, talk page, mailing list, etc.-->Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
Do you think this project should be selected to participate in the W&E Greenhouse? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project below! (Other constructive feedback is welcome on the discussion page).
- Strong Support to this initiative. These are highly competent Wikimedians, who are doing extraordinary work in difficult conditions and have previously innovated in both Education and GLAM. I have no doubt anything they will be involved in will bear fruits and become a success. Shani. (talk) 19:47, 18 May 2019 (UTC)
- Support I liked the idea of involving teachers and training them to understand Wikimedia projects better. This will motivate students as well. --Gopala Krishna A (talk) 16:09, 19 May 2019 (UTC)
- Strong Support. This proposal rests upon an institutional agreement with a university and very experienced Wikimedians --these are ingredients that make it likely to succeed. Brazil has been a major player for educational programs in the movement , and to embed a proposal like this one within a dynamic context of wiki-education is also relevant, as the program that is proposed here can expand onto establishing events for sharing best practices and discussing with educators in other areas of Brazil. The Wiki Movimento Brasil will support this team work if it is selected. --Joalpe (talk) 21:35, 19 May 2019 (UTC)
- Support We need more works as it in Brazil to improve our general scientific literacy and understanding of Wikipedia by teachers and students. The results will provide more insights for our future education activities in the field. Thanks for this bold initiative! --Ixocactus (talk) 02:08, 24 May 2019 (UTC)
- Support This initiative can help to deal with academia's distrust with Wikipedia, and everyone involved can learn more about digital literacy in one of the most connected countries of the world! Tetizeraz (talk) 13:57, 28 May 2019 (UTC)
- strong Support. This is fail proof --as it brings together very experienced Wikimedians from Brazil and a university professor who is strongly committed to free knowledge. I appreciate the fact that reporting is a major aspect of the proposal, as we from Portugal are excited about learning from this bottom-up project supported by the Greenhouse Program. --DarwIn (talk) 18:12, 28 May 2019 (UTC)
- Support It is awesome that this initiative might help to demystify and heal academia's mistrust in Wikipedia. Ederporto (talk) 23:33, 28 May 2019 (UTC)
- Support Consistent and well planned design. Model to be tested and possibly copied to other initiatives. Wikis tools are more than adequate for this knowledge multiplication activity. --Hermógenes Teixeira Pinto Filho (talk) 15:15, 31 May 2019 (UTC)
- Support Sturm (talk) 15:28, 4 June 2019 (UTC)