Education/Newsletter/May 2017/First Editing Club in La Rioja
First Editing Club in La Rioja
In April and May we developed the first "Club de Edición" for teachers and students in our country, it was held in La Rioja province. Throughout three weeks high school teachers and students were trained on how to use Wikipedia in the classroom.
The Editing Club is a project designed by the Education Program of Wikimedia Argentina which is proposed to train teachers in the use of editing tools in Wikipedia, with the aim of adding to their school curriculum the use of Wikipedia as a pedagogical proposal. In this opportunity Wikimedia Argentina has worked with teachers and students in order to edit information about the history of La Rioja in Wikipedia. The Editing Club was organized by request of the Education Ministry of La Rioja province to Wikimedia Argentina.
The Editing Club had three main activities involving training and mentoring:
- A Workshop with teachers on how to edit Wikipedia. For Example: what are the main features and how information is constructed? We also worked on how it can be implemented in the classroom--which activities and proposals can be sensitized and involve the students.
- Virtual follow-up to teachers who were implementing the project in the classroom. Especially advise in the research of content to update and improve existing information in Wikipedia.
- A final meeting, where the students and their teachers published the content that they had investigated within the framework of the project.
"Club de Edición" with students:
On May 10, students participated in the first Editing Club about La Rioja's history, 120 students from public and private schools published content in Wikipedia, it was a product of the research carried out in the classroom with their teachers.
- 17 articles improved in Wikipedia about different subjects of the curricular areas: History, Geography, Toponomy, Culture, Religion, etc.
- The students learned to work with primary and secondary sources and also how to carry out research.
- Both students and teachers built knowledge in a collaborative way.
- Students and teachers have the leading role in the construction of the history of their own province.