GLAM/Newsletter/August 2012/Contents/Africa report
A month in Africa's GLAMs
The following newsletter is an update of GLAM activity from the last month (and a bit) across the African continent and beyond. The activities listed below have come from the work of two Wikimedia chapters, South Africa and Kenya, and from the WikiAfrica Project.
GLAM Content partners sharing knowledge
The GLAM side of WikiAfrica's Share Your Knowledge project has been very well supported by the 55 content partners from across Africa. It has received content (including images) from the M-Net African Film Library, Blackitude Museum, Hyrax Hill Museum, First Floor Gallery, Mus’art Gallery, Abasuba Community Peace Museum, Africa Centre, Phuthidikabo Museum and Sungani Zakwathu Cultural Heritage Promotions. Many of these related articles are being worked on in the WikiAfrica Incubator and shall be moved over to the main site once they are finished. Much more content is pouring in and will be uploaded over the following month.
Heritage Western Cape
During the last week of August, a three-day GLAM training session and workshop was held with the museum managers of 18 museums across the Western Cape of South Africa. During the session, the managers were introduced to Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons, GLAM, Creative Commons and the Wiki Loves Monuments Competition. They also uploaded and worked on 11 new articles about their specific museums. These articles that are being finalised, are currently in the WikiAfrica Incubator, and can be viewed there.
South African Heritage Institutions Supports Wiki Loves Monuments
Wikimedia South Africa and WikiAfrica have been working to get South Africa's heritage institutions involved in and participate as upload sites for the upcoming Wiki Loves Monuments 2012. The National Heritage Council (NHC), South African Heritage Resource Agency (SAHRA), Western Cape Heritage and City of Cape Town Heritage are all eager to be involved, especially in an upload marathon at local museums to the South African Wiki Loves Monuments and thus to Commons, that will take place on Heritage Day (Monday, 24 September), a public holiday. The official launch of the Wikilove monuments will be held on the 1st of September 2012 at the Castle of Good Hope in Cape Town.
Potential GLAMs - Still in Talks
The following have expressed interest in working as GLAMs with Wikimedia Kenya:
- Nairobi Railway Museum have partially accepted to collaborate with Wikimedia Kenya to have their content on Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects. The senior management requested for copies of proposals to review them in detail.Wikimedia Kenya is in discussions on the best way to undertake this project being the first of its kind. A preliminary study revealed that they have none of their collections digitized.
- Kenya National Archives are still reviewing a proposal that was sent to them regarding GLAM. Hopefully the results shall be out by the time the next newsletter shall be published.
The following have expressed interest in working as GLAMs with WikiAfrica:
- National Museum Malawi
- Shimoni Slavery Museum, Kenya
- Bamako-London Exhibition, UK/Mali
- South African Heritage Resource Agency, South Africa
- Name your hood, South Africa
- IZIKO Museums of Cape Town (14 museums in the Cape Town area) www.iziko.org.za, South Africa
- Western Province Government – Department of Heritage, South Africa
- City of Cape Town Heritage Department
- National Herbarium of Tanzania (http://vimeo.com/11736032), Tanzania
- TARA – Trust for African Rock Art, Kenya, www.africanrockart.org
- Kuona Trust, Kenya www.kuonatrust.org
- National Commission of Museums and monuments, Nigeria, http://www.nigerianmuseums.org
- Digital Archive,Rock Art Research Institute, Origins Centre, Wits University, South Africa, www.SARADA.co.za
African GLAMs: Cultural Institutions Contributing to Wikipedia and Wikimedia Projects with African Contents
The following GLAMs are at different stages of the Share Your Knowledge path. For in-depth Case Studies of long term partners, please see below, or look at this month's Italy report.
- NEW Western Province Government – Department of Museums (in charge of 28 museums in the Western Cape), South Africa
- Bartolomeu Dias Museum
- Beaufort-West Museum
- Caledon Museum
- Cango Caves Museum
- Cape Medical Museum
- CP Nel Museum
- Drostdy Museum
- Fransie Pienaar Museum
- Genadendal Mission Museum
- George Museum
- Groot-Brakrivier Museum
- Hout Bay Museum
- Huguenot Memorial Museum
- Jan Dankaert Museum
- Koopmans De Wet House Museum
- Montagu Museum
- Old Harbour Museum
- Paarl Museum
- Robertson Museum
- SA Fisheries Museum
- Shipwreck Museum
- Simon's Town Museum
- Stellenbosch Museum
- Transport Riders Museum
- Wellington Museum
- Wheat Industry Museum
- Worcester Museum
- NEW Seychelles People Defense Forces Museum(SPDF),Seychelles
- NEW Sungani Zakwathu Cultural Heritage Promotions, Malawi
- Zanzibar National Museum
- Short Story Day Africa http://shortstorydayafrica.org/
- Phuthidikabo Museum
- Mus'art Gallery http://musartgallery.org/
- Curate Africa, South Africa http://www.curateafrica.org/
- Matengatenga Postal Museum
- Hyrax Hill Museum http://www.museums.or.ke/content/blogcategory/32/22/
- Blackitude Museum http://www.blackitude.org/
- Uganda National Museum
- National Gallery of Zimbabwe http://www.nationalgallery.co.zw/
- First Floor Gallery http://firstfloorgalleryharare.weebly.com/index.html
- Gambia National Museum http://www.ncac.gm/banjul.html
- Abasuba Community Peace museum http://www.abasuba.museum
- GALA-Gay and Lesbian Memory in Action http://www.gala.co.za
- The Archival Platform http://www.archivalplatform.org
- M-Net African Film Library http://www.africanfilmlibrary.com
- Out in Africa Film Festival http://www.oia.co.za
- Encounters Documentary Film Festival http://www.encounters.co.za
- Africa Centre is a cultural platform based in Cape Town supporting and producing cultural projects and initiatives. In 2011 the Africa Centre adopted the CC BY-SA on its online documentation and in November launched a call for a Wikipedian in Residence in charge of contributing to WikiAfrica and coordinating more GLAM outreach in Africa.
- NEW Case study about Africa Centre, in Italian: it:Progetto:WikiAfrica/Istituzioni/Africa Centre
- doual'art: a cultural non profit organization focussed on contemporary art and urban research in Douala. Since 1991 doual'art produces public art and collects documentation about its city. doual'art provides all of its online documentation in CC BY-SA: project descriptions, artworks descriptions, biographies of artists and experts.
- NEW Case study about doual'art, in Italian: it:Progetto:WikiAfrica/Istituzioni/doual'art
- Chimurenga is based in Cape Town. The Chimurenga Library is a repertoire of magazines which influenced writing and thinking in Africa; the website is in CC BY-SA.
- NEW Case study about Chimurenga Library, in Italian: it:Progetto:WikiAfrica/Istituzioni/Chimurenga
- Check out this month's Italy report for a summary of these 3 case studies.
- NEW Case study about Chimurenga Library, in Italian: it:Progetto:WikiAfrica/Istituzioni/Chimurenga
- Kër Thiossane, an art centre, residency space and training facility based in Dakar. The centre provided training to intellectuals, artists and authors in Dakar on how to contribute to Wikipedia and wiki websites.
- Fratelli dell'uomo, Padua, Italy http://www.fratellidelluomo.org
- african architecture matters http://www.aamatters.nl
- VSF-E Vétérinaires Sans Frontières Europa http://www.vsfe.org
- Revue Noire http://www.revuenoire.com
- Africultures http://www.africultures.com
- Sudplanète http://www.spla.pro
- Fondazione Cariplo
- Compagnia di San Paolo
- Fondazione Monte dei Paschi
- Fondazione Cariparma
- AMREF ITALIA onlus, in partnership with AMREF Uganda
- Associazione Good Samaritan
- Fondazione Piero e Lucille Corti
- The Permanent Centre for Education
- ACRA Associazione di Cooperazione Rurale in Africa e America Latina
- CISV Comunità Impegno Servizio Volontariato
- COOPI Cooperazione Internazionale
- COSPE Cooperazione per lo Sviluppo dei Paesi Emergenti
- Istituto di ricerca CESPI Centro Studi di Politica Internazionale
- AST, Associazione dei Senegalesi a Torino (in collaboration with the association Trait d’Union)
- Associazione Stretta di Mano
- Africa e Mediterraneo http://www.africaemediterraneo.it
- Medici con l'Africa Cuamm http://www.mediciconlafrica.org
- Cinemafrica-Africa e diaspore nel cinema http://www.cinemafrica.org
- Assaman: Rivista italo-africana http://assaman.info
- A-POIS. Art Projects to Overcome Impossible SItes http://www.a-pois.it
- Katholieke Universiteit Leuven - Institute for Anthropological Research in Africa, Lueven, Belgium http://soc.kuleuven.be/web/home/7/38/nl
- Butterfly Works, Amsterdam, Netherlands. Butterfly Works supports WikiAfrica http://www.butterflyworks.org
- Artistic collections of Castello Sforzesco - Extra-European Collections, Milan, Italy
- Fondazione Alessandro Passaré, Milan, Italy http://www.fondazionepassare.com
- COSV, Italy http://www.cosv.org
- Epoché edizioni. Italian editor specialized in African literature providing authors biographies and book synopsis in CC BY-SA (texts only).
- Festival Cinema Africano Asia e America Latina→w:it:Progetto:WikiAfrica/Share Your Knowledge/Festival Cinema Africano Asia e America Latina. Italian cinema festival specialized in African, Asian and Latin American cinema providing film descriptions, all its catalogues (digital and analog) and biographies of filmmakers and experts in CC BY-SA (texts only).
- Festival del cinema africano di Verona. Italian cinema festival specialized in African cinema providing film descriptions and biographies of filmmakers and experts in CC BY-SA (texts only).
- Afriradio, Italy http://afriradio.altervista.org
- Fondazione ISMU→w:it:Progetto:WikiAfrica/Istituzioni/Fondazione ISMU
- Fondazione lettera27→w:it:Progetto:WikiAfrica/Istituzioni/lettera27
- Officina GRIOT→w:it:Progetto:WikiAfrica/Share Your Knowledge/Officina GRIOT
- Casa Àfrica, Spain.
- Festival de Cine Africano de Tarifa, now Festival de Cine Africano de Còrdoba. Spanish cinema festival specialized in African cinema providing film descriptions and biographies of filmmakers and experts in CC BY-SA (texts only).
- AfricaFilms.tv http://www.africafilms.tv/
Wikimedia chapters supporting the collaborations with institutions in Africa and with African contents
- Wikimedia South Africa
- Wikimedia Kenya
- Викимедија Србије (Wikimedia Serbia)
- Wikimedia CH
- Wikimedia España
- Wikimedia Italia