Australia and New Zealand report
#1lib1ref - what's next?
State Library of Queensland embraced the #1lib1ref campaign in January and February 2017.
The statistics were impressive.
- 1,028 citations added
- 97% of citations related to Queensland topics or content
- Most edited page – Muttaburra (46 citations)
- 148 pages had single citations added
- Content focus – Queensland places, people, War Memorials and Schools
- Queensland War Memorials pages – 30 citations
- 41 (including 2 staff from other government departments) attended awareness sessions
- 18 staff attended training
- 18 staff attended mentoring/edit sessions
- 35 staff added citations (including 2 field work students and 1 volunteer)
Capitalising on the enthusiasm, new skills and greater confidence of staff working with Wikipedia is the next step. Running regular edit sessions with a specific focus is one idea we are taking forward - February will be aligned with International Womens' Day and staff will work on editing, adding citations and adding media related to women in Queensland.
Wikimedia Commons: a hands on introduction for GLAMs in Sydney
State Library of New South Wales hosted a workshop to introduce gallery, library, archives and museum (GLAM) staff to Wikimedia Commons on 13 February 2017. The workshop was part of the ALIA Information Online 2017 conference program. Topics included staff editing guidelines, project pages, the institutional business case, copyright statements, statistics, metadata and categories, image quality and contributing images.
No comments yet. Yours could be the first!