GLAM/Newsletter/September 2014/Contents/USA report
News from Philadelphia & New York City
News from Philadelphia
Attendees at September's GLAM Café were sad to say good-bye to organizer Jeff Guin, who is leaving the Chemical Heritage Foundation for the Wolfsonian in Miami Beach, Florida. The GLAM Café will continue to be hosted by co-organizer Mary Mark Ockerbloom, Wikipedian in Residence at CHF. The next GLAM Café will be held Tuesday October 14, from 5 to 8 p.m. Wikipedians can celebrate Ada Lovelace Day by editing information about woman scientists!
GLAM-Wiki New York City Update
September and early October saw a number of Wikipedia events in New York, with several more recently added to the fall and winter schedule.
Guggenheim Museum hosts first Edit-a-thon The Guggenheim Museum hosted its first Edit-a-thon on Tuesday October 7th, in the Sackler Center for Arts Education auditorium and co-working rooms at the Guggenheim building. Staff from across the Museum's departments, including; library and archives, education, curatorial, architectural projects, social media, and external affairs departments made the event a truly collaborative experience for the institution, with around 35 total participants dropping in to edit and learn about Wikipedia and Museum Architecture throughout the day.
Mount Sinai Medical School Edit-a-thons The WikiProject Medicine team at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai hosted and Edit-a-thon on Tuesday, September 30, 2014 to contribute to articles related to emergency medicine. Their project continues.
NYC WMF Grant Applicants Several New York City-based Wikipedia projects applied for WMF Individual Engagement Grants for the fall grant season, including:
- Grants:IEG/Art+Feminism Editathon training materials and network building
- Grants:IEG/Piłsudski Institute of America GLAM-Wiki Scalable Archive Project
Other Wikimedia NYC Meetups
- Wikimedia NYC set up shop at a booth at the 2014 Maker Faire at the New York Hall of Science on September 20th and 21st to talk to Faire attendees about Wikipedia and free culture.
- Librarians@Pratt Edit-a-thon. November 1st. (Pratt Institute School of Information and Library Science community).
- "One Year of Wikipedia at METRO" event Celebrating the Wikipedia engagements of the Metropolitan New York Library Council, October 16,2014.
- Metropolitan New York Library Council Webcast: "Reference and Citation on Wikipedia and the Library". October 27th. Featuring 4 Wikipedia community-member projects.