Best practices in assigning Wikipedia articles as coursework to students
- See this article in Ukrainian
Best practices in assigning Wikipedia articles as coursework to students is an introduction to using Wikipedia as a teaching tool. As demonstrated by the Wikipedia Public Policy Initiative, a pilot project for using Wikipedia as a teaching tool in higher education, there are many benefits associated with exposing students to an open peer production community like Wikipedia.
|Benefits to students|
|In contrast to traditional writing assignments, working with Wikipedia promises several advantages for students:
|Benefits to the Wikipedia community and its mission|
|The community benefits because:
|Benefits to instructors|
|The course leader benefits from using Wikipedia as a platform for education, because with the Wikipedia Ambassador program;
|Phase A: Preparatory phase||1. Recruit facilitators
2. Think of what goals your students should reach. Use the experience of your facilitators to check the feasibility.
3. Creating work plan / time table / list of tasks or articles
|Phase B: Course phase||4. Teaching Wikipedia basics (formal requirements, editing, quality management, tutorial for advanced learners. If you invite a public speaker, there will be a more constructive feeling: “there are qualified humans behind the nicks and cooperation produce better content / course notes") (90 minutes)
5. Executing and monitoring all phases and operationalize on Wikipedia (encouraging students during the process, dealing with drawbacks)
|Models||Model A: Bachelor in Germany (Goal: Lesenswerte Artikel)||Model B: Master in Germany||Model C: Bachelor in the United States|
||Well proofed is the goal of creating content orientated on the criteria good or featured article. You ought not to use the local candidates, if there is no fixed timeline.
|Phase C: Conclusion phase||6. Evaluating your course (finish your course, feedback of students, feedback for Wikipedia)|
- Education/Countries – list of current and past education programs worldwide
- Wikipedia:School and university projects – list of current and past projects on the English Wikipedia
- Best practices documentation – other best practice pages on Outreach wiki
- Coursework Writing: Guidelines to Success. Reaching Perfection
- Robert E. Cummings: Are We Ready to Use Wikipedia to Teach Writing?, in: Inside higher Ed (March 12, 2009)