GLAM/Discussion

From Outreach Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search


GLAM

Galleries • Libraries • Archives • Museums
Email the team: glam﹫wikimedia.org

Get StartedModel Projects and Case StudiesEvaluating ProjectsContact Us
For the GLAM-Wiki Community:
Mailing listsDiscussionCalendarNewsletterResourcesVolunteersOther pages


One discussion page to rule them all!
Archives: 20102011


Open Wiki GLAM of Serbia[edit]

Hi, folks. I'm not so sure is this the right page for this information. Sorry if I did mistake. As you know, WMRS will organize Open Wiki GLAM of Serbia conference, for Serbian GLAM institution, which will take place on February 24, 2012 in Youth Center of Belgrade. Call for participation is still open and you can participate as a speaker and present your work. Or you can simple be in the audience :)) The next information that I want to share with you is that we have our website http://glam.wikimedia.rs (in EN) and and we translated ~30 articles from http://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/GLAM. We are very new in this GLAM things, and I hope that you will help me in my future GLAM work. Thanks!--MikyM (talk) 01:44, 11 January 2012 (UTC)

WikiWomen's History Month[edit]

Hi everyone. March is Women's History Month and I'm hoping a few GLAM WIKI folks will have interest in putting on events related to women's history. We've created an event page on English Wikipedia (please translate!) and I hope you'll find the inspiration to participate. Please visit the page here: WikiWomen's History Month. Thanks for your consideration and I look forward to seeing events take place! Missvain (talk) 18:04, 1 February 2012 (UTC)

Redlinks in GLAM newsletter[edit]

Hi. Every link on the GLAM newsletter that was delivered to my EN talk page is a redlink. I thought that someone should be aware that the bot is delivering newsletters this way. It looks like the links are to EN when they should go to Outreach. Pine(talk) 23:33, 4 March 2012 (UTC)

Whitelisting IP addresses[edit]

Hi. In response to a request from a GLAM organizer, I've gathered information on how to request an IP whitelisting for outreach events to override the IP cap. The page is meta:How to request lift of an IP cap. I wanted to let you guys know about it and ask that, if you think it appropriate, you add it to any relevant organizational pages here so that people who need this done know how to do it. :) --Mdennis (WMF) (talk) 15:30, 16 May 2012 (UTC)

Maggi thanks, but so far in my (very short) experience of GLAM events I have yet to meet someone *without* a Wikipedia username. This lift of the IP cap would only be necessary for an edit-a-thon with a group of people with no prior editting experience, but this is not the same thing in my opinion as a "GLAM event". However, who knows what the future will bring and it may come in handy! Jane023 (talk) 20:59, 16 May 2012 (UTC)
I used to hit this problem regularly at training events, but now have the "account creator" flag on my account (an admin can do this for you), which means that, though I have to do the account creation, I can do as many as I need to. However, another trick is to ask attendees to create acounts before the session, from home. That also saves valuable training time. Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy 14:50, 2 August 2012 (UTC)
Thanks for the tip Andy! As you can see I rarely read these pages. Jane023 (talk) 09:47, 8 February 2013 (UTC)

Journal collaboration[edit]

I'm in the final stage of negotiating a collaboration with a peer-reviewed zoology journal with Wikispecies. The deal involves uploading images of newly-described species published in the journal's articles. Currently, the entire journal is 100% copyrighted but they are willing to "open up" to less restrictive license on the images. However, they insisted that they want to retain the license for commercial usage of those images. I understand that the Commons does not allow CC-BY-NC licenses. What can I do? OhanaUnitedTalk page 03:05, 19 July 2012 (UTC)

Hi OhanaUnited. Exciting project you are working on. If the organization is not willing to budge copyright wise it looks like we're unable to utilize their images on Wikimedia projects. What are their concerns? Why aren't they willing to release the images at least CC BY SA? If you can argue to the importance of releasing images - even low resolution images - then perhaps you can succeed at changing their minds. Missvain (talk) 16:59, 30 July 2012 (UTC)

Folger Shakespeare Library needs help help uploading their collection images[edit]

Hi everyone. The Folger Shakespeare Library wants to upload their collection of images, many (or most) which are documents. See the images here. If you are able to do so, please get in touch with User:Kaldari. Thanks! Missvain (talk) 16:59, 30 July 2012 (UTC)

Talk:Wikipedian in Residence[edit]

Nobody seems to be replying at talk there. I've left some comments there over the past few months, it would be nice to hear back from someone... --Piotrus (talk) 20:06, 12 August 2012 (UTC)

You may be interested in this Meta conversation. Apparently no one is in charge of the WIR program. Pine 21:50, 16 August 2012 (UTC)

QRpedia[edit]

In Summer I saw QR-Codes to Wikipedia articles also at the Brooklyn Museum. Was this a project by the museum? Marcus Cyron (talk) 07:55, 4 December 2012 (UTC)

[edit]

Hello,

I thought the newsletter logo could use some sprucing up, so I have created the proposed logo below. I have included the current logo for comparison.

This month in GLAM logo.png
This Month in GLAM.svg

Please let me know what you think. Harej (talk) 06:24, 4 May 2013 (UTC)

I'd support a new logo for TMIG. I made the original with the intention of it certainly not being used for as long as it has been. A spruce up is definitely overdue. :-) In terms of feedback on the new image, it might be worth increasing the size of the Wikimedia logo and perhaps making 'GLAM' slightly smaller. Rock drum (talk · contribs) 09:23, 5 May 2013 (UTC)

How does this look:

This Month in GLAM rev 2.svg

Harej (talk) 19:47, 5 May 2013 (UTC)

I think more of the new GLAM logo should be in the This Month in GLAM logo, like the blue line under some of the words. Romaine (talk) 06:10, 6 May 2013 (UTC)

How about this:

This Month in GLAM rev 3.svg

Harej (talk) 04:11, 25 July 2013 (UTC)

Call for feedback on Welcome to Wikipedia brochure[edit]

(Please excuse cross-posting) Over the next few months, I will be overhauling the Welcome to Wikipedia brochure to better reflect what new editors need to know when learning how to contribute to Wikipedia. I'm hoping to get a wide variety of feedback on what people like and do not like about the current brochure so I can create a new version that reflects the best knowledge we collectively have about outreach to newbies. Please see more details and add your feedback here. -- LiAnna Davis (WMF) (talk) 17:50, 30 September 2013 (UTC)

Ada Lovelace Edit-a-thon 2013 at Brown today.[edit]

I'll be presenting a brief talk about the Wikipedian in Residence/Ladd Observatory GLAM project at w:Wikipedia:Meetup/Ada Lovelace Edit-a-thon 2013 - Brown today at 4:30 pm. Online editing is also welcome for those who are not local. --mikeu talk 14:51, 15 October 2013 (UTC)

We had a great turnout and a lot of coverage in the press. Slides from my talk are available online. --mikeu talk 13:32, 16 October 2013 (UTC)

NIST- tracking image use[edit]

The NIST Research Library is planning to upload our archival photo collections to Wikimedia Commons, and I wondered if anyone could help me determine the best way to track the use of those photos. Would anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to do so? Is there any way to track how many times an image uploaded to Wikimedia Commons has been used or viewed? --Katelynd.bucher (talk) 18:24, 10 December 2013 (UTC)

@Katelynd.bucher: At the bottom of every image page on Commons it lists the image's usage on other Wikimedia projects. So there is that much at least. You might want to get in touch with the Analytics team for more information though. They should be able to help you get the stats you are looking for. Zellfaze (talk) 19:44, 7 April 2014 (UTC)

How to Submit a Case Study[edit]

Hi All, I'm interested in adding a GLAM Case Study on the recent Art+Feminism Edit-a-Thons, which I helped organize at Eyebeam, but am not sure how this page works. Is this a curated list or is anyone open to create a case study and post here. Let me know bc I am ready to add once this question is answered! OR drohowa (talk) 04:44, 3 February 2014 (UTC)

requesting better control on admin privileges[edit]

It has come to attention that admin User name ponyo, Joe decker, ground zero Are receiving tons of complaints by purposely vandalizing known USA living Person pages that they have no legal rights which is also somehow accessing IP addresses which some editors who create pages served in armed forces. I demand these admin have their privileges revoked and put back what they deleted. They seem to target certain pages and has been reported to federal agency's for they should not have access to IP addresses or Personally attacking and upsetting the editors They were asked to stop more than several times

Please put back the deleted living prone pages and sources and revoke them And block them

Hi. What does it have to do with GLAM? PiRSquared17 (talk) 12:32, 7 March 2014 (UTC)

Acronym[edit]

In the GLAM newsletter, a prominent link at the top should probably go to the main GLAM page, and even in the text it might make sense to spell out what GLAM means somewhere near the top. It took me over five minutes to figure out it didn't mean "Gay, Lesbian, something, and something". SMcCandlish (talk) 12:28, 20 April 2014 (UTC)

Quality of images[edit]

I've noticed that many of the categories of images that have been donated aren't really being used over the various Wikis. I just went through the EnergieAgenturNRW donations; most of them are of people giving talks at conferences or trade showns... I don't really see how having so many pictures of speakers can be very useful to Wikipedia. I identified about a dozen or so that could be of use, so out of a batch of about 2000 images we have maybe 12 we can use for articles here. We appreciate the donations, but they don't really seem to "fit well" into articles. Can we perhaps ask for quality over quantity?

There are multiple images of the same speaker in the EnergieAgenturNRW donations for example. I've noticed that we seem to get donations from various organizations, and they just sit here on Commons and aren't being used in the various Wikis. I mean no disrespect to anyone, but I hate to see all these donations not really being used for anything. Oaktree b (talk) 03:58, 30 April 2014 (UTC)

Józef Piłsudski Institute of America has only 21 images being used, out of 1200 or so. The Swiss Archive donated over 5000, but we're only using 180. The Neuchâtel Herbarium donated 4000, and we're using 13. We should ask for more quality images, rather than just a bulk upload of images. Oaktree b (talk) 03:58, 30 April 2014 (UTC)

Mudanza[edit]

As many of the here presented tools have been moved to tool,wmflabs.org, how is assured that the links will be corrected? Google links me still to this page first looking for GLAM tools and than from here to the nirwana.--Barbara Fischer (WMDE) (talk) 12:12, 8 July 2014 (UTC)

GLAM Repository[edit]

I have started a GLAM repository to try to monitor what is going on and what has happened. In the category case studies there is a list of subcategories which highlight the kind of collaborations implemented. it would be really useful to have this information highlighted also in a repository, so we can make sure experiences are also included in the right categories. --Iopensa (talk) 23:55, 30 September 2014 (UTC)

1/3 of the tools no longer working[edit]

I was just looking at GLAM/Resources/Tools and 1/3 of the tools are no longer working. What shall we do with the them? Does anybody know the status of any of them? --Jarekt (talk) 15:41, 27 October 2014 (UTC)

BaGLAMa[edit]

I would like to add c:Category:Media contributed by Józef Piłsudski Institute of America to BaGLAMa, but I can not find any documentation on how to do it. Can someone help me with it? --Jarekt (talk) 15:43, 27 October 2014 (UTC)

Hi User:Jarekt! Can you clarify what/what page BaGLAMa is? I might be able to help but am not sure which page you mean(?) OR drohowa (talk) 18:54, 15 December 2014 (UTC)

Promote GLAM WIKI 2015 conference?[edit]

Would it be possible to promote the GLAM-WIKI 2015 conference on this page? That would allow us to use www.glamwiki.org in our communication in de following months. Ter-burg (talk) 13:48, 3 February 2015 (UTC)

Cultural partnerships program[edit]

Hello,

Wikimedia DC has prepared a draft grant proposal for its Cultural Partnerships Program, a one-year pilot program to scale up Wikimedia volunteers’ work with cultural institutions by improving on the organizing capacity of our volunteers. To this end, we are partnering with the GLAM-Wiki US Consortium to organize our national network of volunteers and to train new ones through the second GLAM Boot Camp. Our goal is to make it possible for people to participate in the GLAM-Wiki movement and to keep better track of the work we are doing throughout the country.

The proposal is located here – comments and on-wiki endorsements are welcome.

Please contact me if you have any questions about the proposal.

Thanks, Harej (talk) 04:21, 5 April 2015 (UTC)

Not getting any help for MoU's with GLAM institutes.[edit]

I have been an active contributor to Wikipedia since 3years but a newbie to GLAM and Outreach Wikipedia programs. I have gained the idea of GLAM and Outreach programs by attending 2 national level Wikipedia conferences in this year. Now I have three long term, major projects in my hand. Now I have three collaboration project to be finalysed

1).Archaeological Survey of India. Archaeological Survey of India

2).Dharitri : Odia daily Newspaper which will help us for Odia Wikipedias Nabakalebara Editathon. Am making a draft for this in google doc : [1]

3).QRpedia and Odisha tourism : I have not drafted this but when i posted a tweet today. Here is a twitter response how Odia people from twitter are excited about it : [2].

If this project will be approved by the state government of Odisha then the QRpedia project will be a long term project and will be the first in the world where entire tourism of a state/province will be under QRpedia. But am not getting any kind of local support as our community is small and scattered and there is no follow off work to my projects from any officials as these are government institutes and a minimum MoU is required to take forward these work. I personally wants to coordinate this project but For this I have to organise more Workshops to bring contributors to Wikipedia.

But am not getting any kind of local support as our community is small and scattered and there is no follow off work to my projects from any officials as these are government institutes and a minimum MoU is required to take forward these work.

Can someone please help me in how i can take a lead and complete this work. I need some

  1. Financial help
  2. Official position/something similar to this for signing the MoU's.

As of the lack of knowledge about outreach programs am unable to complete or speedup these programs. If any scope can be provided to me regarding helping me in these activities.

Regards --Sailesh Patnaik  ଶୈଳେଶ (talk) 07:48, 16 April 2015 (UTC)

Need recommendation for scanners to digitize old and brittle books[edit]

Hi, Need recommendation for scanners to digitize old and brittle books. Retaining as much color and quality for OCR needs is also essential. Some suggest using a smart phone or regular pocket camera for scanning documents. But, I am looking at large scale GLAM projects where a community owned scanning machine would be appropriate. Please suggest models across all budget ranges. Thanks.--Ravidreams (talk) 16:12, 26 May 2015 (UTC)

Help plan a new software feature for easy subscription to newsletters[edit]

We are developing a MediaWiki extension that will enable users to subscribe to community newsletters much more easily. We are very excited to hear your feedback on the features we have planned. Feel free to share your thoughts here. - Tinaj1234 (talk) 12:38, 9 June 2015 (UTC)

Thanks for this post, Tinaj1234. The Wikipedia Education Program also publishes a monthly newsletter. Our community might also be interested in this extension. I'm pinging some friends to see if they can look into it and share feedback here on Phabricator. All the best, Anna Koval (WMF) (talk) 02:01, 9 June 2015 (UTC)
@Selsharbaty (WMF): @Thelmadatter: Think you'd have time to investigate this? Thanks in advance, Anna Koval (WMF) (talk) 02:01, 9 June 2015 (UTC)
Sure, we need all the suggestions and feedbacks we can get. Looking forward to hearing from all of you:) Thanks! - Tinaj1234 (talk) 12:38, 9 June 2015 (UTC)

Open Arts Journal[edit]

I emailed the individual GLAM email over a few weeks ago and haven't heard back. Looking for some advice on this:

I'm in talks with the Open Arts Journal to move from cc-by-sa-nc to cc-by-sa, partially so that we can use their work. They appear interested but don't know how they would apply the license retroactively and how to protect individual work. (My understanding is that they can't retroactively apply the license unless they contact the authors individually, but that they can change the license from this point forward.) I think it would help to pass along examples of other journals who have done the same, so I turn to you. ... Any advice on how to proceed?

(By the way, it's very confusing to find the right contacts/centralized place of discussion—might be worth setting up a few cross-wiki redirects.) – czar 23:16, 12 August 2015 (UTC)

GLAM Ghana[edit]

Hello everyone Wikimedia User Group Ghana wants to embark on an all inclusive Nationwide GLAM.Please find the link below and do well to add your comments and contributions and endorse if you can GLAM_GHANA Thanks--Rberchie (talk) 19:06, 11 September 2015 (UTC)

Contents gaps[edit]

Please we are looking forward to receiving suggestions with respect to content gaps we can use this GLAM to solve.All comments and suggestions duly welcome

US lurker until now[edit]

Hello all. I'm in Utah, USA, and would love to become more actively involved. So glad to see GLAM Wiki thrive! Todrobbins (talk) 22:35, 14 September 2015 (UTC)

Spell it out, people[edit]

Above, an editor noted:

In the GLAM newsletter, a prominent link at the top should probably go to the main GLAM page, and even in the text it might make sense to spell out what GLAM means somewhere near the top. It took me over five minutes to figure out it didn't mean "Gay, Lesbian, something, and something".

Lemme second the notion more strongly. This needs to happen. There's no explanation or notes and I've always assumed Wikipedians with this newsletter in their talk pages are simply expressing their gay pride/advocacy/awareness. NTTAWWT & you don't need to change your acronym, since you apparently enjoy it, but you need to make it clearer what you're actually doing if you want this to be successful outreach instead of a cute inside joke. LlywelynII (talk) 07:07, 12 October 2015 (UTC)

Attempts to start up a new ambassador program[edit]

Hi! I'm here to kind of make a suggestion and a bit of a plea for help. A group of us on the English Wikipedia are trying to relaunch the ambassador program, which became inactive. Previously this only focused on the classroom side of things and there has been a consensus that any relaunch should include GLAM, since there's definite need for ambassadors with this side of things as well. This could also be helpful when it comes to situations where an institution could benefit from having an on-site ambassador, but they're not quite ready for a WIR or anything quite so official. So far this is still in its opening, straggling stage and we're trying to make sure that everything is going to be covered. I think it'd be good for this to receive some sort of mention somewhere, since it'd be great to have some input from editors involved with GLAM and their help as well. Some of the things I've been looking for are things like identified noticeboards for GLAM - I can't see where there's really any place for people to ask questions akin to the Education noticeboard. The project page is here at present. Tokyogirl79 (talk) 08:39, 13 January 2016 (UTC)

Hi Tokyogirl79, The best way is probably to send an e-mail to the GLAM mailing list or user can help on this page. Romaine (talk) 12:17, 13 January 2016 (UTC)

irc #wikimedia-outreach[edit]

I tried to join the #wikimedia-outreach irc channel but it redirected me to #wikimedia instead. Is the channel active, and how do I join it? or does this page need to be updated? --mikeu talk 09:21, 31 January 2016 (UTC)

Book:Encyclopedia of Conservation and Restoration[edit]

All,

Encyclopedia of Conservation and Restoration: Version 1.1

For the past 5 years or so I’ve been chipping away at a big idea: to create an Encyclopedia of Conservation and Restoration that is available to anyone in the world for free. I wanted this encyclopedia to be all encompassing, and to include many allied fields, also I wanted it to be easy to find, improve, and share. We first started by creating WikiProject Collections Care and then with the help from many interns, fellows, museum studies graduate students at both IUPUI and JHU, I present today Version 1.1 of this effort.

It is made entirely in Wikipedia and is available for download right now at this link:
Encyclopedia of Conservation and Restoration

As Version 1.1, this book has some great potential, but it really needs your help. Please look through it and consider what is missing, what’s working well, and what’s not. In general I believe the content is uneven, as many of the articles in it were also written by general Wikipedias interested in various parts of the topics. It needs more work to be broadly viable.

I decided to do this project in Wikipedia because it is one of the most visible web pages in the world, and when people search for a topic related to conservation and restoration I wanted them to be able to find accurate information that could help them make a good decision.

The vast majority of this work has been completed by my JHU Online Museum Studies graduate students, who for the past few years have written an article as part of the final project in my course, “Core Aspects of Conservation: A 21st Century Approach.”

I would particularly like to invite other allied graduate programs to consider using this project as a way to have other students work together on a globally significant effort. Have your students review this book, edit individual articles, or create new ones that you believe are missing.

Working together we could turn the Encyclopedia of Conservation and Restoration into a remarkable book that is used globally to great purpose. Some of the pages in this book have been translated to other languages, and there is certainly potentially to make it all available in other languages.

Thanks! --RichardMcCoy (talk) 01:03, 27 May 2016 (UTC)

Replacing the Case Studies and Model Projects Pages[edit]

Hey All! I have recently been reviewing the case studies and project models of what we have represented on GLAM/Model projects and GLAM/Case studies. These examples, are not representative of the international community: and if I were someone who wanted to replicate or learn from those documentation portals, I wouldn't be able to find what I need.

Realizing this, I developed two new portals that better represent our model projects from the last half dozen years:

To create a single access point for this information, I propose that we replace both GLAM/Model projects and GLAM/Case studies with a draft I developed at User:Astinson_(WMF)/Draft. These pages are not done; I am sure I am missing many model projects (if you have one! Lets draft some!).

As with all things wiki, I don't expect these to be the final versions of these pages, but I wanted them to be representative of what we do now. I could use feedback on two questions:

  • What do you think of the single portal?
  • What feedback do you have? What is missing?

Cheers, Astinson (WMF) (talk) 21:07, 1 June 2017 (UTC)

It's good to have summaries for the examples we collected over the years, but having a comprehensive overview/bibliography is still valuable.
The distinction between the two pages is not clear to me and does not seem to be focused on the institutions' needs. More specifically: "digital collections" makes one think the page is about institutions which have digital collections to build upon (like a digital library or an online catalogue of a museum) but then contains examples which are about content creation for institutions without digital collections;"sharing knowledge" is an unappealing title (of course everybody wants to share knowledge) and has an unclear overlap with the other page.
I think perhaps you wanted to distinguish initiatives which "just" transport/disseminate existing content from initiatives which generate new content (like writing new articles, taking new photos and so on). However this distinction is not communicated clearly, nor respected by the content of the two pages.
It would be more fruitful to identify some classes of potential partners and divide the examples in groups made so that every institution can find something they identify with. For instance "I have a vast collection of digital objects online and want to increase its impact" vs. "I don't have any digitised materials but I'm interested in digitising some select stuff" vs. "I don't work with digitisations but my institution has specific knowledge which is lacking on Wikimedia wikis" or whatever. --Nemo 07:10, 2 June 2017 (UTC)
I agree with Nemo here that "sharing knowledge" is probably not the best title for the type of situation that you are trying to describe, and I also don't see the difference between the "sharing knowledge" part and the "sharing digital collections", in the way in which is oriented right now. They look pretty much the same to me and probably the end goal of both of them ("sharing digital collection" & "sharing knowledge") is the same: to provide contextual information for the digitized items. To me, the difference between both initiatives is that in one case you don't have the digital object (wether because is not digitized or its digitization is not in the proper format, i.e., its OCR hasn't been corrected) and in the other you don't have the contextual information and you need to create that. My proposal would be something in that line, "creating digital collections" (where you can also include the part where you need to do advocacy with an institution to free their museum/archival content with a proper license in case they haven't done so) and then "adding value to digital collections" (I don't like this title, but I guess you get the idea). I think that the "Wikidata and Institutional Metadata" should be alongside with "creating digital collections" and not in the "adding value" part, because is really more a technical issue in a way much more close to "correcting OCR" than "creating a Wikipedia article" (in the sense that is something you make the item more searchable).
The pages are incredible long. Why not divide the whole thing into much more specific categories, such as: "create digital collections", "search & discover", "reuse", "contextualize" / "write articles" (or something like that, for WP articles), "crowdsource", "communicate", etc. Of course you're going to have overlap in these categories in several projects, but I think it would be much more easier to read (and also more easy to digest -right now you have two loooooong pages with a lot of information that just overwhelms the person that's looking at it). I'm more than happy to help you further with this. --Scann (talk) 12:03, 2 June 2017 (UTC)
Hi @Nemo bis, Scann: Thanks for the great feedback. The main feedback/concern I was responding to in the two way split, was first: most folks, when they think of GLAM-Wiki, immediately point at bulk upload projects or digitization as GLAM-Wiki. This does two things: 1) librarians I have talked to feel alienated by the project models, because they don't frequently have these assets (its the domain of archivists at a library), even though almost every community globally has found better partners among librarians and 2) gets many of our GLAM leaders down rabbit holes of negotiation, which don't always pan out. Secondly, emerging communities have trouble recognizing the many different ways in which partners can contribute to Wikimedia projects -- the "Sharing Knowledge" page, is focused on those beyond-digital-collection opportunities for GLAM-Wiki participation -- for folks who need to be exposed to a variety of projects. I am, of course, open to re-titling those pages, or creating different leads.
As for splitting into even more pages, I fear that dividing into even more topics could prevent folks from accidently learning about more of the strategies (for example, I would like to make sure that folks who end up asking questions about institutional knowledge to recognize that Wikidata and Wikipedia contributions can have the same impact -- or that even if your collection isn't already digitized, there might be other ways to document what your institutions collects). I could see some creative use of collapse boxes, or something like that, which allows us to hide some of the content, or better guidance towards the navigation at the beginning of the page -- but I don't want us to get too far into the "tons of subpages" issue -- this is part of the reason the existing content isn't maintained well. Astinson (WMF) (talk) 14:02, 2 June 2017 (UTC)
Hi Alex, it's great that you are working on improving the GLAM-WIKI portal - long overdue! But to be bluntly honest, I vastly prefer the old structure. The pages need to be updated with more diverse and up-to-date examples, but that basic structure is good - clearer than the one you want to replace it with. I especially like the 'old' case studies page: the first thing any organisation (or beginning WiR / outreachy person) will do, is look for examples of similar institutions. Concrete example: I have just started as a short-time WiR at a university library and I'm now looking for similar case studies at other university libraries. I think it's better to put focus on (re)selecting good case studies and structuring them according to (sub)type of institution and type of collaboration that has happened + also making sure that the model projects (I'd prefer to call that 'possible types of collaboration') are up to date and documented well. Links to reports, blogs, This Month in GLAM throughout all examples would be very useful too. In all cases I'd go for very short text, bullet points, images, to make everything easy to digest and visually appealing. Spinster (talk) 14:22, 3 June 2017 (UTC)
I often use links to GLAM/Newsletter too. It would be for example useful to pick maybe 10-20 keywords, alongside the sections in the case studies page or some other visible structure (to avoid adding confusion), and to tag GLAM/Newsletter pages or sections so that they can at least be linked via Special:Search, to avoid maintaining a long list of manual links. Or even just categories, which can be a bit burdensome though.
Sorry if this suggestion goes offtopic, it's meant as a response to the worry about dispersed information. --Nemo 14:46, 3 June 2017 (UTC)
@Nemo bis, Spinster: thank you for engaging in the conversation and I would love to learn more about what kinds of navigation strategies you have used in the past!
For the "precedent by institution type" and This Month and GLAM issue, I am going to be announcing this week a Newsletter categorization drive, soon that should help with this. I personally find the historical case studies page impossible to gain value from (and have never found it useful): the problem with the "by institution type" tactics, is that they become highly constrained by Western European and American sensabilities of what institutions have available to them and makes a lot of assumptions about what an institution wants -- quite frankly, most of the tactics we use with Musuems in big cities in Europe and the U.S. don't work in the rest of the world (or at smaller institutions within the United States, in my experience), while our archival case studies actually speak really well to libraries and museums elsewhere in the World, and University libraries and Research libraries have been our best innovators globally: yet those tactics get cordoned off in one small space, rather than learned from as part of shared environment. What we might consider: Overhauling that page as a more concise (and better illustrated) series of navigational pages with leads focused on persuading folks about mission overlap for their institution -- so if someone is at a conference for Libraries, for example, we can land libraries on a persuasive front-page. I also hope to develop handouts that outreach folks can take to each institution type (like the long-out of date GLAM One Pager or the Librarian 8-8 document the Wikipedia Library took to IFLA). In my opinion, what distinguishes the way we work with the different professional groups at these institutions has more to do with the professional motivations for participation, and less to do with the tactics we employ once we work with the institutions (the tactics are constrained by what kind of knowledge sharing they want to do once we persuade them).
As for the audience for the project type portal: its less our established organizers (the categorizations should help with their use case), but more folks learning what GLAM-Wiki can look like and what tactics they can employ (new program leaders, and folks trying to figure out what we mean by the word "GLAM-Wiki"). Right now our documentation has gotten a number of emerging communities and new outreach leaders down rabbit holes. If we want to maintain the program as a collective brand, we need to acknowledge that what holds that work together is not how we approach individual institution types, but rather the shared sets of tactics that we use. I personally, don't approach museums or libraries very differently in my volunteer capacity, but rather respond to their needs with types of tactics (typically wanting to share digital content, or other kinds of knowledge). There have been several libraries I have interacted with that have been highly interested in museum case studies, and vice versa.
As for being concise or better navigation: yes lets. I welcome revisions that help make section more concise (I tried to keep every section below 2-3 paragraphs, and bulleted where possible. Summaries of case studies are 3-4 sentences -- the considerations box in each section, allows folks to better decide if the tactic is right for them, and each section links to better documentation for implementing and will soon include the "This Month in GLAM" categories). Astinson (WMF) (talk) 15:26, 5 June 2017 (UTC)

RfC Announce: Wikimedia referrer policy[edit]

In February of 2016 the Wikimedia foundation started sending information to all of the websites we link to that allow the owner of the website (or someone who hacks the website, or law enforcement with a search warrant / subpoena) to figure out what Wikipedia page the user was reading when they clicked on the external link.

The WMF is not bound by Wikipedia RfCs, but we can use an advisory-only RfC to decide what information, if any, we want to send to websites we link to and then put in a request to the WMF. I have posted such an advisory-only RfC, which may be found here:

Wikipedia:Village pump (policy)#RfC: Wikimedia referrer policy]

Please comment so that we can determine the consensus of the Wikipedia community on this matter.

Note: This was posted at the request[3] of Astinson (WMF)]. Any questions regarding canvassing should be addressed to him.

--Guy Macon (talk) 17:30, 12 June 2017 (UTC)

"Kevin Gorman" listed?[edit]

The list shows "Kevin Gorman: Berkeley, CA" at GLAM/Contact us. However, he is deceased, so the entry should be updated or removed. --George Ho (talk) 17:17, 21 June 2017 (UTC); modified, 13:24, 22 June 2017 (UTC)

Pinging Astinson and Nemo bis about this. --George Ho (talk) 19:28, 21 June 2017 (UTC)

Done. This is a wiki, no need to ask before making such edits. --Nemo 19:58, 23 June 2017 (UTC)

Will GLAM work with sister projects?[edit]

Nemo bis and Astinson, I thank you for working hard on making GLAM possible. I should also thank other volunteers for that. I've been thinking. After reading your replies at the RfC discussion at the Village pump page via En.wiki, I figure that maybe GLAM is too dependent on Wikipedia for so long. I'm not trying to offend you or anything like that. I know that you've done your best to build or improve Wikipedia. However, I think maybe some or much energy could have been spent at other Wikimedia projects, like Wikiversity and Wikijournal, currently part of Wikiversity. Right now, Wikijournal, a free academic journal project, is proposed to be a full-fledged project at Meta-wiki. You can team up with experts of various areas. Thoughts? --George Ho (talk) 17:59, 21 June 2017 (UTC)

@George Ho: Hi George: GLAMs tend to do a lot of work with WikiSource, Wikimedia Commons and Wikidata than our other outreach approaches (Wikipedia Education Program, campaigns like Art+Feminsim, etc) However, that being said: the sense of impact is somewhat proportional to the value that some institutions gain from them and Wikipedia arguably has the most easily visible impact (though admittedly Wikidata has surpassed the obvious value in recent years). My engagement at the RFC has less do with my GLAM work -- those is clearly related-- and more to do with the continued support of projects like meta:WikiCite which have demonstrated an overwhelming network of interest to engaging Wikimedia projects in part because of the value of their citations -- and that far transcends the professions typically engaged in GLAM. Astinson (WMF) (talk) 18:53, 21 June 2017 (UTC)
Thanks, Astinson. I think the RFC discussion will affect English Wikipedia only, but referrer info can still be received from other projects and non-English Wikipedia sites. For instance, a reader can click any link at Wikinews, and the third-party sites can count that info from there. BTW, thanks for the hard work on Wikisource, which is... vastly different from Internet Archive, and the heads up on that. Still, I wish GLAM volunteers would spend more time on Wikijournal (subproject or project), which needs more original content and thought than it has been. --George Ho (talk) 19:06, 21 June 2017 (UTC)

Lint Errors in MassMessage[edit]

Good afternoon everyone, I'm writing here without being sure it's the right place, but I'd be glad if someone will read this message and move it if necessary. I'm here to report a problem in every MassMessage delivered, i.e. the presence of obsolete tag, according to the LintErrors page. Since those tags will be unsupported, on it.wiki (and, I suppose, on other wikis too) we're facing a huge number of pages with any kind of trouble. The GLAM newsletter has one of these: it has 2 <center>...</center> tags that should be replaced with <div style="text-align:center">...</div> and 2 <font> tags that should be replaced with <span> according to this help page. Since the impact of a bot bringing errors might be quite destructive, I kindly ask you to please fix the issue before releasing the next newsletter. Should you need any further assistance, I'll be happy to help you as much as I can. Many thanks, --Daimona Eaytoy (talk) 14:13, 9 October 2017 (UTC)

Hi Daimona Eaytoy, Thank you for your message! I am sorry I did not see it earlier, this morning the newsletter This Month in GLAM went out with these old tags. I just transformed these tags to span tags and table styles, so for this newsletter this should not occur any more. Romaine (talk) 17:55, 9 October 2017 (UTC)
Many thanks for the reply! I know, it was partially intentional, since I thought errors were already fixed and I didn't check when the next newsletter would have been released to see if that was actually true. Anyway, thanks again for the quick fix.--Daimona Eaytoy (talk) 18:11, 9 October 2017 (UTC)