WMF GLAM report
Structured Data on Commons Funded! #1lib1ref and a holiday break
Preparing for #1lib1ref
Mid-January launches the #1lib1ref campaign, in over 12 languages and contexts: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/The_Wikipedia_Library/1Lib1Ref
This year, we are also making a few tweaks to the campaign strategy:
- We added a page for small "Coffee hour" get togethers, to encourage folks to organize a small social activity with librarians.
- We added more international support, from various language communities, by deliberately engaging chapters and community organizers
- We are going to be testing a central-notice banner. Look for posts on GLAM-Wiki Global and the Wikipedia + Libraries Facebook groups for help translating.
If you want to help with #1lib1ref is still not too late! We can still translate and engage more communities in the campaign, or share it with library networks!
Structured Data on Commons: Funded!
One of the greatest difficulties and challenges for GLAMs to work with the Wikimedia community, has been the inconsistent and hard to evaluate usages of GLAM content once its on. The long discussed opportunity for integrating the Wikidata software, Wikibase into Commons to allow for better structured metadata for media is finally upon us!
The WMF and WMDE announced funding for work on Structured data on Commons via a grant from the en:Sloan Foundation. You can find the announcement at the Wikimedia blog. More information about the grant is at Commons:Structured data/Sloan Grant. If you have questions, please join us at the Structured Data on Commons talk page.
Alex will be leading up community engagement during the first few months of the project, while the grant monies allow for hiring a Community Liason and additional GLAM-Wiki Staff to support the project. Please join in supporting the project where you can, and let us know where you can help .
Some of the consultations were light in December because of the holiday break, and work on the two above projects.
- Structured Data on Commons consultations with staff and Magnus
- Supporting User:Joalpe
- Communicating with community organizers for #1lib1ref
- Consulting on what components of the Community Wishlist Survey
- Working with the Learning and Evaluation Team at the Foundation on identifying learning day participants
- Several solicitations of GLAM-Wiki support at the Foundation through various channels
No comments yet. Yours could be the first!