WikiTrain in Rennes
WikiTrain in Rennes
On saturday July 1st took place the fifth and last monthly workshop about Trains and rail transport in the museum of Brittany (musée de Bretagne).
Edit-a-thon in Pieve Tesino
Edit-a-thon in Pieve Tesino
Pieve Tesino in Trentino is the birthplace of Alcide De Gasperi, Italian statesman and one of the founding fathers of the European Union. Fondazione Trentina Alcide De Gasperi manages three institutions there: Museo Casa De Gasperi (Casa Alcide de Gasperi museum), Museo per Via and Giardino d'Europa De Gasperi.
On Saturday 29th of July the Foundation hosted an edit-a-thon! Wikimedians visited the two museums and the garden and then uploaded dozens of new photos on Wikimedia Commons and created new articles on Italian Wikipedia, including Museo per Via, Chiesa di San Sebastiano, Villa Daziaro, Silvano Buffa and Coreopsis verticillata.
Wikimedia Italia contributed with the lunch, with its very first grant of its new microgrant program!
Summer of data
Politician pin ups
Just over five years after Andy Mabbett's Politician pin ups – open-licensed pictures, please blog post, the UK Parliamentary Digital Service released pictures of 620 (of 650) MPs under open licence. In her Making history: official portraits and open source images blog post, the PDS's Editor-in-Chief, Carrie Barclay, explained:
The election meant that all MPs would be passing through a certain place, at a certain time. That place being the Chamber as they're sworn in after the election. This gave us an unprecedented opportunity to take an official portrait of each Member without complicated shoot schedules, myriad locations, diary management, or difficult staffing issues.
Top celebrity photographer Chris McAndrew was commissioned to take the shots, with an average of just two minutes per person. Once they were made available on the parliamentary website, Andy and fellow volunteer Fæ worked to quickly upload all four versions of each image - the original and three formats of cropped image, being careful to name them in series (some had already been uploaded under other file names by other users; these duplicates are in the process of being rationalised). All can be seen in Category:Official United Kingdom Parliamentary photographs 2017.
Work is now ongoing to add the images to Wikipedia articles in all available languages, and to Wikidata. You can help!
California State University Northridge
Wikimedia LA held a STEM edit-a-thon, Meetup/LA/CSUN, at California State University, Northridge.
Black Lunch Table/Brooklyn Museum
Black Lunch Table held a meetup, Black Lunch Table/Brooklyn Museum July 2017 at the Brooklyn Museum.
Wikimedia Seattle held a wikinic, Wikipedia:Meetup/SeattleWiknic/2017.
Synthetic Biology at BUGSS
Wikimedia DC held a meetup, Synthetic Biology at BUGSS at Synthetic Biology at BUGSS, Baltimore, Maryland.
Arabic Wikipedia Day Edit-a-thon
Wikimedia DC held an edit-a-thon, Arabic Wikipedia Day Edit-a-thon in support of Arabic Wikipedia Day.
Wikipedia + Libraries project updates for GLAM
- Wow - 700+ viewed the 60-minute preview webinar on the Wikipedia + Libraries online training program; you can view webinar here
- Enrollment in the online training program is now open for US public library staff, if you know a US public library staff member, spread the word. Free course for US public library staff is from Sept. 13 - Nov. 15, 2017
- WebJunction article in Librarians Who Wikipedia series is a spotlight on Paul Flagg
Monika Sengul-Jones (WIR) and Sharon Streams (Director, WebJunction) recruiting public library staff at the ALA annual conference in Chicago.
Get more project updates in Montreal, including analysis of 20 interviews and 700+ survey results
- Thursday, Aug. 10 at 4pm "Better Together: Building bridges between US public libraries and English-language Wikipedia" presentation at WikiConference.
- Sunday, Aug. 13 at 11:30am Libraries and Wikipedia: Global perspectives and opportunities, three lessons on outreach - field reporting from the Wikipedia + Libraries project.
Wikipedians - you are invited to be a guide to course participants!
English-language Wikipedia editors are invited to participate in the Wikipedia + Libraries online training program as guides. You can participate in the full course, or for one of the modules. Wikipedians need not be affiliated with US public libraries to participate, the more the merrier! Help course participants learn about Wikipedia by sharing your experiences and answering questions during the forum discussions that take place between the live sessions. Click here to participate.
Monikasj (talk) 23:33, 3 August 2017 (UTC)
GLAM at Wikimania 2017
When indicated French, simultaneous translation will be provided.
|Friday 11 August 2017|
|11.00 - 12.00||Breakout sessions||Wikipedian-in-Residence Birds of a Feather||Salon 1 (level 2)|
|11.00 - 11.30||s1: Libraries & Education||French: Wikipédia, les bibliothèques publiques et Montréal||Ballroom West (level 4)|
|11.30 - 12.00||s1: Libraries & Education||Création d'une communauté numérique locale. Prototypage d'un atelier contributif en bibliothèque||Ballroom West (level 4)|
|11.30 - 12.00||s6: Wikidata: Wikidata & arts||Modelling and Ingesting Performing Arts Related Data into Wikidata||Salon 3 (level 2)|
|12.00 - 12.30||s6: Wikidata: Wikidata & arts||The Sum of all paintings is just the start||Salon 3 (level 2)|
|14.00 - 14.30||s8: Libraries & education (2)||French: Sciences, histoire et projets Wiki, le mariage unique québécois||Ballroom West (level 4)|
|14.00 - 15.00||s11: GLAM: Collaborations||The Internet Archive and Wikimedia - Common Knowledge Goals||Drummond West (level 3)|
|15.00 - 15.30||s11: GLAM: Collaborations||Constitutional Court meets Wikipedia||Drummond West (level 3)|
|16.00 - 17.00||s20: GLAM||Other-a-thon: Roundtable on alternative models for public outreach events||Salon 5 (level 2)|
|Saturday 12 August 2017|
|14.00 - 15.00||r4: Roundtables: cultural heritage||We dreamt big - What did Connected Open Heritage manage to achieve?||Salon 5 (level 2)|
|14.00 - 14.30||s29: GLAM: outreach||Small GLAMs: opportunities & possibilities of working together with small cultural heritage institutions||Drummond Center (level 3)|
|14.30 - 15.00||s29: GLAM: outreach||It is not a matter of visibility: GLAMs contribute to fill the knowledge gap. New metrics for GLAMs and GLAM-Wiki cooperation||Drummond Center (level 3)|
|14.30 - 15.30||s52: Wiki Loves Monuments||Everything You Need to Know About Wiki Loves Monuments 2017||Salon 1 (level 2)|
|15.00 - 15.30||s29: GLAM: outreach||Lingua Libre: Massive Open Audio Recording||Drummond Center (level 3)|
|15.00 - 15.30||r4: Roundtables: cultural heritage||Starting, Sticking, and Growing: Exploring and Scaling What’s Working for Cultural Heritage Organizations and Volunteers||Salon 5 (level 2)|
|Sunday 13 August 2017|
|9.30 - 10.30||Keynote||French: Libraries, Archives and sharing knowledge||Ballroom West + Center (level 4)|
|11.00 - 11.30||s36: GLAM: Libraries||Brick by brick: Libraries and Wikimedia building on each other||Ballroom Center (level 4)|
|11.30 - 12.30||s36: GLAM: Libraries||Libraries and Wikipedia: Global perspectives and opportunities||Ballroom Center (level 4)|
|14.00 - 15.30||w13: Workshop: GLAM & Wikidata||Wikidata + heritage data: Where do we stand? What's next?||Salon 1 (level 2)|
|14.00 - 14.30||s48: GLAM & community||On-Wiki Campaigning to Engage New Editors||Salon 3 (level 2)|
|14.30 - 15.30||s48: GLAM & community||What do we know about GLAM-Wiki?||Salon 3 (level 2)|
|Friday 11 August 2017|
|13.00 - 14.00||Submissions/Wikipedia + Libraries Meetup||Joyce/Jarry (level A)|
- See Programme for the full program
Zotero for Wikidata; Changes to Constraint Handling
- Wikimania takes place from 9 to 13 August; check out all the things related to Wikidata and use the Etherpads to participate remotely.
- Help improving Wikidata documentation during the Wikimania hackathon
- We have some real Meta data!
- Citation management tool Zotero can now read data from Wikidata, and can write data from other sources to Wikidata via QuickStatements. See Wikidata:Zotero for details.
- Data Partnership with beaTunes
- New newsletter about Structured Data on Wikimedia Commons.
- You can subscribe to receive next updates.
- Ma Commune Wikipédia is a website developed by Wikimedia France to give information about the state of the Wikipedia articles for every French municipality and encourage people to edit the Wikimedia projects. It uses Wikidata to identify the communes.
- A visual exploration of musical bands on Wikidata, by RAW Graphs team
- New Wikidata maps with a comparison between October 2016 and July 2017
- Using Wikidata as an open, community-maintained database of biomedical knowledge
- Wikidata visualizes SMILES strings with John Mayfield's CDK Depict
- Freedom versus Standardization: Structured Data Generation in a Peer Production Community (Uses OpenStreetMap as an example)
- On Overview of the usability work done by the Wikidata team
- Integrating Wikidata and other linked data sources – Federated SPARQL queries, on The SuLab
- Report on the workshop about election data (in German)
- We now have a page describing our use of RDF
- Constraint statements were enabled.
- Wikidata Constraint Violations tool visualizes changes in constraint violations for last few weeks. Some of constraints produce millions of violations (marked as red).
- Sitelinks for the new Atikamekw Wikipedia (atjwiki) can be added
- wbsearchentities with ElasticSearch test
- Quantities with units are now supported in the new QuickStatements.
- A new version of the Query Helper was deployed.
- dissertation submitted to
- Atlas of Hillforts ID
- Carnegie Hall agent ID
- Finnish archaeological heritage ID
- Gedbas genealogy person ID
- danskfilmogtv person
- ADK member ID
- INSPIRE ID
- JewAge person ID
- National Record of the Historic Environment ID
- NLS-FI Geographic Name ID
- NLS Geographic Names Place ID
- Ontario Heritage Act Register ID
- openAIP ID
- PalDat plant ID
- French National Assembly ID
- Who's Who in France biography ID
- Titan ID
- EmbassyPages.com ID
- Cinema Treasures ID
- USHMM person ID
- Patrimonioculturale-ER ID
- maximum age
You are invited to comment on all open property proposals.
Edit-a-thons, Structured Commons and Wikimedia Blog
Edit-a-thon Training Draft
Edit-a-thons are one of the most commonly used programs among Wikimedia program leaders and one of the programs that they want to use most (see this survey result and this survey result.) However, in many settings and situations Wikimedia Community members are not sure what goes on during these events, or are unsure about the best practices for making those events successful.
During the month of July, Alex surveyed the existing documentation for edit-a-thons, to develop an initial draft of a training for folks who have not run Editing events before. The draft was developed, so that it could be included in the Programs and Events Dashboard training module environment. The environment allows for folks to translate such a training on Meta, localizing such a training for their own cultural and language context.
Please participate in giving feedback at the Draft Page.
Structured Data on Commons Update
Structured Data on Commons is making progress on design research and initial back-end development. This initial research, includes targeted outreach to major institutional partners, and deep design-research interviews With folks who have done batch uploads as part of GLAM projects.
With the hiring of User:SandraF (WMF), as the principal Community Liason on the project. She will also be supporting development of best practices for GLAM+Wikidata and the Structured Commons to be used as part of programmatic partnerships. Her background is very deep in GLAM-Wiki, where you may know her as User:Spinster.
The Structured Data team released a Newsletter on July 19 on Commons.
Wikimedia Blog updates
The Wikimedia Blog has included a number of stories of importance to representing GLAM-Wiki:
- Italy’s video game archive breathes life into gaming history and culture (July 26th, 2017)
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art: 375,000 windows on art history, and that’s just the beginning (July 25th, 2017)
- Bringing the magic of classical music to Ukrainian speakers (July 14th, 2017)
- Community digest: Wikipedia for Peace, editing to celebrate diversity at WorldPride Madrid; news in brief (July 13th, 2017)
Participate in GLAM-Wiki activities at Wikimania
Wikimania this year, is filled with GLAM-Wiki programming, including a significant amount of the WikiConference North America and the main conference program. To learn more about the schedule, see: the post on the public GLAM mailing list.
August's GLAM events
|<<< previous month||August 2017||next month >>>|