ETH-Bibliothek commences mass uploading campaign for photographs from the Image Archive
Walter Mittelholzer, Junkers F.13 (R-RECI) over Teheran at 1000 m altitude, 1925.
The uploading project of ETH-Bibliothek's Image Archive conducted in collaboration with Wikimedia CH has got underway, starting with around 350 photographs documenting two flights by Swiss aviation pioneer Walter Mittelholzer (1894–1937):
The trained photographer captured sensational aerial images of landscapes that had never been photographed from a bird’s-eye view before. Used as illustrations in his popular travel guides, the images contributed a great deal to Mittelholzer‘s fame as an aviator, photographer, adventurer and entrepreneur. From today’s perspective, the photographs are also interesting as an image source for (post-)colonial research.
Around 134,000 images are scheduled to be uploaded, including additional Mittelholzer photographs and other collections from the ETH-Bibliothek Image Archive’s roughly 340,000 digitised photos:
- Additional photographs by Walter Mittelholzer from his flights over Switzerland and abroad, including Abyssinia, Kilimanjaro and Lake Chad (approx. 18,000 images)
- Portraits of formers members and students of ETH Zurich and famous scientists (approx. 800 images)
- Historical photographs of buildings, institutes, lecture theatres and laboratories at ETH Zurich (approx. 5,000 images)
- The photo archives of the former Swiss airline Swissair (approx. 40,000 images)
- Extensive aerial photograph holdings (approx. 70,000 images)
In the future, we will be listing completed uploads from collections on our user page.
We look forward to you using the content provided.
No comments yet. Yours could be the first!