GLAM/Newsletter/May 2016/Contents/Wiki Loves Earth Biosphere Reserves report
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Wiki Loves Earth Biosphere Reserves report
UNESCO and Wiki Loves Earth partner to run Wiki Loves Earth Biosphere Reserves in 120 countries throughout June
UNESCO and Wiki Loves Earth have partnered to create Wiki Loves Earth Biosphere Reserves, a competition to create photographs free for everyone to use and to enrich Wikipedia. The project hopes to help more people learn about the natural world, conservation and sustainability. There are 669 Biosphere Reserves in 120 countries belonging to a World Network of Biosphere Reserves.
Because the competition is running across so many countries it has not been possible to run a central notice banner for the competition at the top of Wikimedia pages. Your help is needed to make the project as success, you can:
- Enter the competition with your own photographs, you can find a map of Biosphere Reserves on the website.
- Encourage people to take part by telling people about the project on Wikimedia projects.
- Encourage people to take part on social media by sharing this Facebook message, retweeting this tweet and liking this Instagram photo.
- Translate the website, it is currently available in in English, French, Spanish, Russian and Ukrainian.
- Contact the Biosphere Reserves in your country to tell them about the competition, flyers and other information is available on the website. There are contact details for every reserve on their web pages which can be found using the map on the website.
- Share the competition with photography clubs, universities and any other groups you think may be interested.
- Organise photography expeditions to a Biosphere Reserve near you.
- Create Wikipedia articles from official UNESCO descriptions. UNESCO have made descriptions of their Biosphere Reserves available under CC-BY-SA to help more people learn about them, a guide is available for Wikipedia editors to create missing Wikipedia articles from the descriptions.
In this issue
- Africa report
- Brazil report
- France report
- Germany report
- Italy report
- Latvia report
- Macedonia report
- Mexico report
- Netherlands report
- Norway report
- Spain report
- Sweden report
- Switzerland report
- UK report
- USA report
- Special story
- Wiki Loves Earth Biosphere Reserves report
- Open Access report
- WMF GLAM report
- Wikidata report
- OpenGLAM Benchmark Survey report
- Wikimania report
+ Add a commentDiscuss this story
To follow comments, add the page to your watchlist. If your comment has not appeared here, you can try .
No comments yet. Yours could be the first!