GLAM/Newsletter/May 2022/Contents/Structured Data on Wikimedia Commons report
Uploading files to Wikimedia Commons with OpenRefine: looking for test uploads!
The OpenRefine team is working hard to include Wikimedia Commons (structured data) batch editing and upload functionalities in OpenRefine, and the work is progressing well. The first files have been uploaded to Wikimedia Commons last month.
This means that experimental, basic functionalities for uploading files to Commons are getting ready! It is still fiddly to install and run these - this will be improved in the upcoming months. But we are ready for testing!
The team would like to work with a few (think 3 to 5) diverse community projects to test batch file uploads. This will help a lot to find bugs and to better support your workflows.
Maybe you have an upcoming Commons upload that the OpenRefine team can test with? If so, please contact Sandra!
Ideally this upload of files (any files!) is
- Rather small (max. a few hundreds of files).
- You preferably already have some basic data/information about the files.
- They are ready to be uploaded somewhere in June-September 2022, and it’s OK if there is a bit of delay (you don’t have hard deadlines).
- The rights for the files are cleared / there is evidence that the files have the right licenses/copyright .
- You are OK with it that some mistakes may happen during the test, for instance some errors in Wikitext or structured data. (We are testing new software!). You are willing to help look for and fix mistakes if they happen.
- You can upload the files yourself, or you can let Sandra upload them for you. If you want to upload the files yourself with OpenRefine, the team will help you set up. In that case, it’s good if you are a bit tolerant of bugs, errors, and unfinished software (we are testing brand new code that is still rough around the edges!). It would be great if you can then also give the team tips and feedback about your experience.
Are you interested in this? Then send Sandra an email (sandra.fauconniergmail.com) with some information about the kind of files you would like to upload.
- Albania report
- Argentina report
- Australia report
- Belgium report
- Brazil report
- Estonia report
- Finland report
- France report
- India report
- Italy report
- Kosovo report
- Malaysia report
- New Zealand report
- Poland report
- Serbia report
- Sweden report
- Switzerland report
- UK report
- Uruguay report
- USA report
- Content Partnerships Hub report
- Structured Data on Wikimedia Commons report
- WMF GLAM report