Holiday season events with new partners
Washington DC edit-a-thon activities
Andrew Lih and Jim Hayes helped train University of Maryland academics on Wikipedia principles, with the plan to host an Art+Feminism event in 2017.
Wikimedia DC will be hosting several edit-a-thons in the first week of December with new partners.
- The US Holocaust Memorial and Museum - The first-ever edit-a-thon with the USHMM will focus on topics related to Human Rights Day (December 10) and will help train museum staff in Wikipedia basics. Fuzheado has been helping coordinate the topics and article lists.
Wikimedia New York City outreach activities
Lulu #WikiDawg says Wikipedia:BOLD!
The end of the year is proving to be very busy for Wikipedia outreach activities in New York City.
- On November 2, 2016, WM NYC supported a Fordham 175th Anniversary Editathon that celebrated Fordham's 175th Anniversary. The event was held at the Rose Hill Campus up in the Bronx
- The Second Annual Women-In-Science Edit-a-thon was held at New York Academy of Sciences on Saturday, November 12, 2016. We were very happy at the new and continuing editor engagement, which was augmented by the presence of Lulu #WikiDawg bearing excellent Wiki #swag
- The first New York City area Indigenous People's Justice editathon was held at Interference Archive on Sunday, November 13, 2016
- A new series of WMF grant-funded Accessibility Hackathons has been started. This month the event was held on Saturday, November 19, 2016, at Wiki-Ally Babycastles, a gallery space and art collective where we often meet for WikiWednesdays
- And recently, a Grey Literature Edit-a-thon was held at New York Academy of Medicine on Thursday, December 1, 2016
- As part of Wikipedia Asian Month, Wikimedia NYC supported a Contemporary Chinese Art Edit-a-thon at the Guggenheim on Saturday, December 3, 2016. This was part of the "Tales of Our Time" exhibit at the Guggenheim. Editors were treated to free admittance to the exhibition after the editathon.
AfroCROWD activities and outreach
- AfroCROWD connected via virtual link with students at West Virginia University in November for a Wikipedia editathon hosted by Wikipedian in Residence Kelly Jeanne. The event took place in the college's Center for Black Culture, celebrating its 25th year and highlights the effective use of services for virtually linked presentations during edit-a-thons.
- AfroCROWD's year-end Wikipedia editathon will focus on elected officials of the African Diaspora on December 18th, 1-5pm, a day before the United States Electoral College makes its historic vote on the presidential election. This will also be AfroCROWD's end of the year event, so there atmosphere will be in celebration of a very busy year of monthly edit-a-thons, seminars and other activities to welcome and encourage new and growing editors. Join us for free food and drinks. Wikipedia coaches will be on hand for individual help.
Black Lunch Table outreach activities
BLT editathon group photo at Weeksville in Brooklyn, NY
The Black Lunch Table (BLT) is an ongoing collaboration between artists Jina Valentine and Heather Hart which intends to fill holes in the documentation of contemporary art history.
Past events have been held all over North America, starting at the inaugural event at Studio Museum in Harlem, then events at:
- Museum of Modern Art
- The Joan Mitchell Center in New Orleans
- A series of events at McColl Center in Charlotte, Virginia
- Project Row Houses in Houston, Texas
- And other venues including Banff Centre in Canada
On November 16, 2016, Black Lunch Table hosted an editathon at Weeksville Heritage Center as part of the 2016 BRIC Biennial.
Upcoming Black Lunch Table activities include an event at Brooklyn's BRIC House Stoop.
WikiConference North America User Group approved
WikiConference North America group photo
The affiliations committee has approved the Wikiconference North America User Group, which is coming off of the successful WikiConference North America 2016 in San Diego, California, where it staged the one-day GLAM event, Wiki Culture Crawl at Balboa Park. The group will focus on making the conference a regular and sustainable regional event, and working with key GLAM partners.
No comments yet. Yours could be the first!