GLAM/Newsletter/November 2016/Contents/Wikidata report
Apologies for the absence of an October report. We'll cover that month's news here.
- Wikidata celebrated its Fourth Birthday in October, and the 400,000,000th edit was made. Congratulations to all the good people who've made these things happen!
- The Wikimedia Foundation will now directly fund basic expenses for Wikidata software development (WMF blog post)
- Mix’n’match can now limit auto-matches to instances of a specific item and its subclasses
- Commons media file properties now support pasting full Wikimedia Commons URLs (phabricator:T147917)
- Stable interface policy update
- Wikidata entities usage on Wikimedia projects
- Unit conversion has been rolled out for the first dimension for a short while now.
- A new release of the Wikipedia and Wikidata Tools for Google Spreadsheets add-on has made working with Wikidata a lot easier for Google Sheets users. (Tomayac)
- Four new types of charts for the Query Service: line chart, bar chart, scatter chart and area chart! Read more and try examples in the documentation (Jonas)
- Technical documentation about Wikibase for PHP and JS scripts (Ladsgroup and Jonas)
- new feature for the graph view in the Query Service: it can now browse the properties of items. see in the video (Jonas)
- graph builder tool for the query service to create and export graphs (demo video)
- d:Module:PropertyPath and d:Template:Show Path Items
- Events and Press/Blogs
- Andy Mabbett (User:Pigsonthewing) & Liam Wyatt (User:Wittylama) spoke about GLAM-Wiki (including Wikidata) at Muzeum Cyfrowe in Warsaw, 19 October.
- Andy Mabbett spoke & ran a workshop about Wikidata at SFK 16 ("Software Freedom Kosova Conference") in Pristina, 21-23 October.
- Wikidata was represented at Pidapalooza, Reykjavik, November 9-10
- 3 Wikidata-related projects will be funded by WMF grants : Librarybase, Lua module and WikiFactMine
- by Amical Wikimedia (ca)
- During the British wildlife edit-a-thon 2016, attendees added bird sounds from Europeana Sounds to Wikidata and over 60 Wikipedias
- New template: d:Template:Poland properties. Please add labels in your own languages, and consider making a similar template for your country or region.* Everything is connected, a knowledge game based on Wikidata and Commons (list of levels)
- Arachnophobes look away now: World Spider Catalog has been added to Mix'n'match
- A new version of the map showing all the Wikidata items with geolocalisation (Addshore)
- Wikidata and Persistent Identifiers was presented at PIDapalooza November 9th.
- Data import hub and Data import guide: feel free to give feedbacks on these documents!
- Wikidata:WikiProject Biographical Identifiers was formed. Do join in!
- A Natural Language Query Engine without Machine Learning, on A Young Programmer's blog
- People buried on cemetery and if they have a picture of the grave or not by Magnus Sälgö
- Sunday Query : où meurent les Bretons ? (fr) by Ash_Crow
- Charts and data about Brexit & US Elections, by Hector Perez
- WikiCite 2016 report
- Histropedia: “The power of data visualisation combined with free knowledge” on WMF's blog
- Presenting the Wikidata Human Gender Indicators by Max Klein
- How the world’s first Wikidata Visiting Scholar created linked open data for five thousand works of art on WMF's blog
- A guide to SPARQL and the Wikidata Query Service (TweetsFactsAndQueries)
- Wikidata and the Chain of Death, by Karl Beecher
- Scaling multilingual name tags with Wikidata OpenStreetMap contributor blog post
- Wikidata in OpenStreetMap
- Wikidata and the Semantic Web of Food
- schema.org, Wikidata, Knowledge Graph: strands of the modern semantic web by Dan Scott
Cave E-Cadastre ID, Queensland place ID, LiveJournal ID, intangible cultural heritage status, MySpace ID, LocFDD ID, Flickr user ID, PORT organization URL, Fotografen.nl ID, Zeri image ID, Actorenregister ID, storyboard artist, KANTL member ID, BanQ author ID, French National Assembly Lobbyist ID, Bandcamp artist ID, Yahoo! Japan Talent Database ID, MSC ID, Squash Info ID, World Spider Catalog ID, Cellosaurus ID, biography at the Landtag of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, DocCheck Flexikon En ID, DocCheck Flexikon De ID, BALaT image ID, DRÚSOP ID, Flemish Parliament person ID, Belgian Senate person ID, Student register of the University of Helsinki 1640–1852 ID, musical conductor, Open Media Database film ID, third-party formatter URL, NGS pumping station ID, KINENOTE person ID, ICAA rating, Galiciana Author ID, lib.reviews ID, SummitPost ID, plan image, 365chess player ID, chesstempo ID, ICCF ID, BDI ID, Patrimonio Inmueble de Andalucía ID, Vlindernet ID, opponent during disputation, ID petit-patrimoine.com, Ylioppilasmatrikkeli 1853–1899 ID, World Waterfall Database ID, Réserves Naturelles de France ID, wurvoc.org measure ID, CIViC variant ID, Supermodels.nl ID, HGVS nomenclature, ACM Digital Library citation ID, ACM Digital Library event ID, Encyclopedia of Surfing ID, World Surf League ID, Kvikmyndir film ID, Kvikmyndir person ID, legislation.gov.uk ID, Vote Smart ID, RxNorm CUI, HKMDb person ID, PermID, National Library of Greece ID, WHO international non-proprietary names ID, Adult Film Database person ID, musipedia tune ID, National Recreation Trails Database ID, Nobel Prize People Nomination ID, PictoRight ID code, Tennishof ID, Enciclopedia Treccani, GECD person ID, GECD film ID, Prabook ID, Géopatronyme ID, Observatoire du Patrimoine Religieux ID, Auckland Art Gallery artist ID, GECD Firmen-ID, Belgian Enterprise number, Bloomberg private company ID, Merck Index reaction ID, Model Manual ID, FAO 2007 genetic resource ID, File Format Wiki page ID, GeneDB ID, film poster, Japan Sumo Association ID, French Sculpture Census work ID, Galiciana Author ID, lib.reviews ID, SummitPost ID