GLAM/Newsletter/September 2012/Contents/UK report
Jump to navigation Jump to search
GLAMcamp London; brief news
GLAMcamp London brings international Wikimedians to the capital
Over the weekend of 15-16 September, 35 Wikimedians from around Europe and the United States gathered at the British Library in London. Over the course of the two days, attendees got the chance to discuss where the GLAM movement was, where they wanted it to go, and how to get there. During breakout groups on the second day, initial planning for wmuk:GLAM-WIKI 2013 began, and a group brainstormed and started work on a GLAM Bootcamp.
- Further reading
- German report (in German)
- Swedish report (in Swedish and English)
- Photos on Wikimedia Commons
News in brief
- First UK Wikipedia Takes... event in Coventry: On 1 September, Coventrian Wikimedians ran Wikipedia Takes Coventry. More than 2100 photographs were uploaded by 51 participants, almost all of whom were non-Wikimedians. The images taken can be found on Wikimedia Commons. For more information see this blog post.
- There was a British Library Workshop and Tour on 10 September, with the BL very kindly keeping their exhibition Writing Britain open late just for us to go round with curators and guides.
- There was a tour of the major British Museum exhibition Shakespeare: staging the world on 13 September, followed for most of the group by a very interesting talk over coffee with Dora Thornton, the lead curator of the exhibition.
- Upcoming exhibitions were discussed with the British Museum. The Ice Age Art exhibition will run from late February 2013, and we hope to be able to announce initiatives here, to follow on from the Event a year ago, which produced fantastic photos.
- Life and death in Pompeii and Herculaneum will run from 28 March to 29 September 2013, and in March 2014 the BM's new exhibition centre will open with a major exhibition on "The Viking World" (more details at the bottom here). Both exhibitions should be very interesting for editors.
+ Add a commentDiscuss this story
These comments are automatically transcluded from this article's talk page. To follow comments, add the page to your watchlist. If your comment has not appeared here, you can try .
Just wondering: nothing about the Gibraltar case? --Elitre (talk) 22:54, 30 September 2012 (UTC)
- Is Gibraltarpedia really a GLAM subject? - 184.108.40.206 11:16, 10 October 2012 (UTC)
- What else should it be? It is also clearly marked as such. --220.127.116.11 16:48, 2 December 2012 (UTC)
Want the latest edition delivered to your talk page each month?