From Outreach Wiki
< GLAM(Redirected from Talk:GLAM)
Jump to: navigation, search


Galleries • Libraries • Archives • Museums
Email the team: glam﹫

Get StartedModel ProjectsEvaluating ProjectsContact Us
For Wikimedians:
Mailing listsDiscussionCase StudiesCalendarNewsletterResourcesVolunteersOther pages

One discussion page to rule them all!
Archives: 20102011

Open Wiki GLAM of Serbia[edit]

Hi, folks. I'm not so sure is this the right page for this information. Sorry if I did mistake. As you know, WMRS will organize Open Wiki GLAM of Serbia conference, for Serbian GLAM institution, which will take place on February 24, 2012 in Youth Center of Belgrade. Call for participation is still open and you can participate as a speaker and present your work. Or you can simple be in the audience :)) The next information that I want to share with you is that we have our website (in EN) and and we translated ~30 articles from We are very new in this GLAM things, and I hope that you will help me in my future GLAM work. Thanks!--MikyM (talk) 01:44, 11 January 2012 (UTC)

WikiWomen's History Month[edit]

Hi everyone. March is Women's History Month and I'm hoping a few GLAM WIKI folks will have interest in putting on events related to women's history. We've created an event page on English Wikipedia (please translate!) and I hope you'll find the inspiration to participate. Please visit the page here: WikiWomen's History Month. Thanks for your consideration and I look forward to seeing events take place! Missvain (talk) 18:04, 1 February 2012 (UTC)

Redlinks in GLAM newsletter[edit]

Hi. Every link on the GLAM newsletter that was delivered to my EN talk page is a redlink. I thought that someone should be aware that the bot is delivering newsletters this way. It looks like the links are to EN when they should go to Outreach. Pine(talk) 23:33, 4 March 2012 (UTC)

Whitelisting IP addresses[edit]

Hi. In response to a request from a GLAM organizer, I've gathered information on how to request an IP whitelisting for outreach events to override the IP cap. The page is meta:How to request lift of an IP cap. I wanted to let you guys know about it and ask that, if you think it appropriate, you add it to any relevant organizational pages here so that people who need this done know how to do it. :) --Mdennis (WMF) (talk) 15:30, 16 May 2012 (UTC)

Maggi thanks, but so far in my (very short) experience of GLAM events I have yet to meet someone *without* a Wikipedia username. This lift of the IP cap would only be necessary for an edit-a-thon with a group of people with no prior editting experience, but this is not the same thing in my opinion as a "GLAM event". However, who knows what the future will bring and it may come in handy! Jane023 (talk) 20:59, 16 May 2012 (UTC)
I used to hit this problem regularly at training events, but now have the "account creator" flag on my account (an admin can do this for you), which means that, though I have to do the account creation, I can do as many as I need to. However, another trick is to ask attendees to create acounts before the session, from home. That also saves valuable training time. Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy 14:50, 2 August 2012 (UTC)
Thanks for the tip Andy! As you can see I rarely read these pages. Jane023 (talk) 09:47, 8 February 2013 (UTC)

Journal collaboration[edit]

I'm in the final stage of negotiating a collaboration with a peer-reviewed zoology journal with Wikispecies. The deal involves uploading images of newly-described species published in the journal's articles. Currently, the entire journal is 100% copyrighted but they are willing to "open up" to less restrictive license on the images. However, they insisted that they want to retain the license for commercial usage of those images. I understand that the Commons does not allow CC-BY-NC licenses. What can I do? OhanaUnitedTalk page 03:05, 19 July 2012 (UTC)

Hi OhanaUnited. Exciting project you are working on. If the organization is not willing to budge copyright wise it looks like we're unable to utilize their images on Wikimedia projects. What are their concerns? Why aren't they willing to release the images at least CC BY SA? If you can argue to the importance of releasing images - even low resolution images - then perhaps you can succeed at changing their minds. Missvain (talk) 16:59, 30 July 2012 (UTC)

Folger Shakespeare Library needs help help uploading their collection images[edit]

Hi everyone. The Folger Shakespeare Library wants to upload their collection of images, many (or most) which are documents. See the images here. If you are able to do so, please get in touch with User:Kaldari. Thanks! Missvain (talk) 16:59, 30 July 2012 (UTC)

Talk:Wikipedian in Residence[edit]

Nobody seems to be replying at talk there. I've left some comments there over the past few months, it would be nice to hear back from someone... --Piotrus (talk) 20:06, 12 August 2012 (UTC)

You may be interested in this Meta conversation. Apparently no one is in charge of the WIR program. Pine 21:50, 16 August 2012 (UTC)


In Summer I saw QR-Codes to Wikipedia articles also at the Brooklyn Museum. Was this a project by the museum? Marcus Cyron (talk) 07:55, 4 December 2012 (UTC)



I thought the newsletter logo could use some sprucing up, so I have created the proposed logo below. I have included the current logo for comparison.

This month in GLAM logo.png
This Month in GLAM.svg

Please let me know what you think. Harej (talk) 06:24, 4 May 2013 (UTC)

I'd support a new logo for TMIG. I made the original with the intention of it certainly not being used for as long as it has been. A spruce up is definitely overdue. :-) In terms of feedback on the new image, it might be worth increasing the size of the Wikimedia logo and perhaps making 'GLAM' slightly smaller. Rock drum (talk · contribs) 09:23, 5 May 2013 (UTC)

How does this look:

This Month in GLAM rev 2.svg

Harej (talk) 19:47, 5 May 2013 (UTC)

I think more of the new GLAM logo should be in the This Month in GLAM logo, like the blue line under some of the words. Romaine (talk) 06:10, 6 May 2013 (UTC)

How about this:

This Month in GLAM rev 3.svg

Harej (talk) 04:11, 25 July 2013 (UTC)

Call for feedback on Welcome to Wikipedia brochure[edit]

(Please excuse cross-posting) Over the next few months, I will be overhauling the Welcome to Wikipedia brochure to better reflect what new editors need to know when learning how to contribute to Wikipedia. I'm hoping to get a wide variety of feedback on what people like and do not like about the current brochure so I can create a new version that reflects the best knowledge we collectively have about outreach to newbies. Please see more details and add your feedback here. -- LiAnna Davis (WMF) (talk) 17:50, 30 September 2013 (UTC)

Ada Lovelace Edit-a-thon 2013 at Brown today.[edit]

I'll be presenting a brief talk about the Wikipedian in Residence/Ladd Observatory GLAM project at w:Wikipedia:Meetup/Ada Lovelace Edit-a-thon 2013 - Brown today at 4:30 pm. Online editing is also welcome for those who are not local. --mikeu talk 14:51, 15 October 2013 (UTC)

We had a great turnout and a lot of coverage in the press. Slides from my talk are available online. --mikeu talk 13:32, 16 October 2013 (UTC)

NIST- tracking image use[edit]

The NIST Research Library is planning to upload our archival photo collections to Wikimedia Commons, and I wondered if anyone could help me determine the best way to track the use of those photos. Would anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to do so? Is there any way to track how many times an image uploaded to Wikimedia Commons has been used or viewed? --Katelynd.bucher (talk) 18:24, 10 December 2013 (UTC)

@Katelynd.bucher: At the bottom of every image page on Commons it lists the image's usage on other Wikimedia projects. So there is that much at least. You might want to get in touch with the Analytics team for more information though. They should be able to help you get the stats you are looking for. Zellfaze (talk) 19:44, 7 April 2014 (UTC)

How to Submit a Case Study[edit]

Hi All, I'm interested in adding a GLAM Case Study on the recent Art+Feminism Edit-a-Thons, which I helped organize at Eyebeam, but am not sure how this page works. Is this a curated list or is anyone open to create a case study and post here. Let me know bc I am ready to add once this question is answered! OR drohowa (talk) 04:44, 3 February 2014 (UTC)

requesting better control on admin privileges[edit]

It has come to attention that admin User name ponyo, Joe decker, ground zero Are receiving tons of complaints by purposely vandalizing known USA living Person pages that they have no legal rights which is also somehow accessing IP addresses which some editors who create pages served in armed forces. I demand these admin have their privileges revoked and put back what they deleted. They seem to target certain pages and has been reported to federal agency's for they should not have access to IP addresses or Personally attacking and upsetting the editors They were asked to stop more than several times

Please put back the deleted living prone pages and sources and revoke them And block them

Hi. What does it have to do with GLAM? PiRSquared17 (talk) 12:32, 7 March 2014 (UTC)


In the GLAM newsletter, a prominent link at the top should probably go to the main GLAM page, and even in the text it might make sense to spell out what GLAM means somewhere near the top. It took me over five minutes to figure out it didn't mean "Gay, Lesbian, something, and something". SMcCandlish (talk) 12:28, 20 April 2014 (UTC)

Quality of images[edit]

I've noticed that many of the categories of images that have been donated aren't really being used over the various Wikis. I just went through the EnergieAgenturNRW donations; most of them are of people giving talks at conferences or trade showns... I don't really see how having so many pictures of speakers can be very useful to Wikipedia. I identified about a dozen or so that could be of use, so out of a batch of about 2000 images we have maybe 12 we can use for articles here. We appreciate the donations, but they don't really seem to "fit well" into articles. Can we perhaps ask for quality over quantity?

There are multiple images of the same speaker in the EnergieAgenturNRW donations for example. I've noticed that we seem to get donations from various organizations, and they just sit here on Commons and aren't being used in the various Wikis. I mean no disrespect to anyone, but I hate to see all these donations not really being used for anything. Oaktree b (talk) 03:58, 30 April 2014 (UTC)

Józef Piłsudski Institute of America has only 21 images being used, out of 1200 or so. The Swiss Archive donated over 5000, but we're only using 180. The Neuchâtel Herbarium donated 4000, and we're using 13. We should ask for more quality images, rather than just a bulk upload of images. Oaktree b (talk) 03:58, 30 April 2014 (UTC)


As many of the here presented tools have been moved to tool,, how is assured that the links will be corrected? Google links me still to this page first looking for GLAM tools and than from here to the nirwana.--Barbara Fischer (WMDE) (talk) 12:12, 8 July 2014 (UTC)

GLAM Repository[edit]

I have started a GLAM repository to try to monitor what is going on and what has happened. In the category case studies there is a list of subcategories which highlight the kind of collaborations implemented. it would be really useful to have this information highlighted also in a repository, so we can make sure experiences are also included in the right categories. --Iopensa (talk) 23:55, 30 September 2014 (UTC)

1/3 of the tools no longer working[edit]

I was just looking at GLAM/Resources/Tools and 1/3 of the tools are no longer working. What shall we do with the them? Does anybody know the status of any of them? --Jarekt (talk) 15:41, 27 October 2014 (UTC)


I would like to add c:Category:Media contributed by Józef Piłsudski Institute of America to BaGLAMa, but I can not find any documentation on how to do it. Can someone help me with it? --Jarekt (talk) 15:43, 27 October 2014 (UTC)

Hi User:Jarekt! Can you clarify what/what page BaGLAMa is? I might be able to help but am not sure which page you mean(?) OR drohowa (talk) 18:54, 15 December 2014 (UTC)

Promote GLAM WIKI 2015 conference?[edit]

Would it be possible to promote the GLAM-WIKI 2015 conference on this page? That would allow us to use in our communication in de following months. Ter-burg (talk) 13:48, 3 February 2015 (UTC)

Cultural partnerships program[edit]


Wikimedia DC has prepared a draft grant proposal for its Cultural Partnerships Program, a one-year pilot program to scale up Wikimedia volunteers’ work with cultural institutions by improving on the organizing capacity of our volunteers. To this end, we are partnering with the GLAM-Wiki US Consortium to organize our national network of volunteers and to train new ones through the second GLAM Boot Camp. Our goal is to make it possible for people to participate in the GLAM-Wiki movement and to keep better track of the work we are doing throughout the country.

The proposal is located here – comments and on-wiki endorsements are welcome.

Please contact me if you have any questions about the proposal.

Thanks, Harej (talk) 04:21, 5 April 2015 (UTC)

Not getting any help for MoU's with GLAM institutes.[edit]

I have been an active contributor to Wikipedia since 3years but a newbie to GLAM and Outreach Wikipedia programs. I have gained the idea of GLAM and Outreach programs by attending 2 national level Wikipedia conferences in this year. Now I have three long term, major projects in my hand. Now I have three collaboration project to be finalysed

1).Archaeological Survey of India. Archaeological Survey of India

2).Dharitri : Odia daily Newspaper which will help us for Odia Wikipedias Nabakalebara Editathon. Am making a draft for this in google doc : [1]

3).QRpedia and Odisha tourism : I have not drafted this but when i posted a tweet today. Here is a twitter response how Odia people from twitter are excited about it : [2].

If this project will be approved by the state government of Odisha then the QRpedia project will be a long term project and will be the first in the world where entire tourism of a state/province will be under QRpedia. But am not getting any kind of local support as our community is small and scattered and there is no follow off work to my projects from any officials as these are government institutes and a minimum MoU is required to take forward these work. I personally wants to coordinate this project but For this I have to organise more Workshops to bring contributors to Wikipedia.

But am not getting any kind of local support as our community is small and scattered and there is no follow off work to my projects from any officials as these are government institutes and a minimum MoU is required to take forward these work.

Can someone please help me in how i can take a lead and complete this work. I need some

  1. Financial help
  2. Official position/something similar to this for signing the MoU's.

As of the lack of knowledge about outreach programs am unable to complete or speedup these programs. If any scope can be provided to me regarding helping me in these activities.

Regards --Sailesh Patnaik  ଶୈଳେଶ (talk) 07:48, 16 April 2015 (UTC)

Need recommendation for scanners to digitize old and brittle books[edit]

Hi, Need recommendation for scanners to digitize old and brittle books. Retaining as much color and quality for OCR needs is also essential. Some suggest using a smart phone or regular pocket camera for scanning documents. But, I am looking at large scale GLAM projects where a community owned scanning machine would be appropriate. Please suggest models across all budget ranges. Thanks.--Ravidreams (talk) 16:12, 26 May 2015 (UTC)

Help plan a new software feature for easy subscription to newsletters[edit]

We are developing a MediaWiki extension that will enable users to subscribe to community newsletters much more easily. We are very excited to hear your feedback on the features we have planned. Feel free to share your thoughts here. - Tinaj1234 (talk) 12:38, 9 June 2015 (UTC)

Thanks for this post, Tinaj1234. The Wikipedia Education Program also publishes a monthly newsletter. Our community might also be interested in this extension. I'm pinging some friends to see if they can look into it and share feedback here on Phabricator. All the best, Anna Koval (WMF) (talk) 02:01, 9 June 2015 (UTC)
@Selsharbaty (WMF): @Thelmadatter: Think you'd have time to investigate this? Thanks in advance, Anna Koval (WMF) (talk) 02:01, 9 June 2015 (UTC)
Sure, we need all the suggestions and feedbacks we can get. Looking forward to hearing from all of you:) Thanks! - Tinaj1234 (talk) 12:38, 9 June 2015 (UTC)

Open Arts Journal[edit]

I emailed the individual GLAM email over a few weeks ago and haven't heard back. Looking for some advice on this:

I'm in talks with the Open Arts Journal to move from cc-by-sa-nc to cc-by-sa, partially so that we can use their work. They appear interested but don't know how they would apply the license retroactively and how to protect individual work. (My understanding is that they can't retroactively apply the license unless they contact the authors individually, but that they can change the license from this point forward.) I think it would help to pass along examples of other journals who have done the same, so I turn to you. ... Any advice on how to proceed?

(By the way, it's very confusing to find the right contacts/centralized place of discussion—might be worth setting up a few cross-wiki redirects.) – czar 23:16, 12 August 2015 (UTC)

GLAM Ghana[edit]

Hello everyone Wikimedia User Group Ghana wants to embark on an all inclusive Nationwide GLAM.Please find the link below and do well to add your comments and contributions and endorse if you can GLAM_GHANA Thanks--Rberchie (talk) 19:06, 11 September 2015 (UTC)

Contents gaps[edit]

Please we are looking forward to receiving suggestions with respect to content gaps we can use this GLAM to solve.All comments and suggestions duly welcome

US lurker until now[edit]

Hello all. I'm in Utah, USA, and would love to become more actively involved. So glad to see GLAM Wiki thrive! Todrobbins (talk) 22:35, 14 September 2015 (UTC)

Spell it out, people[edit]

Above, an editor noted:

In the GLAM newsletter, a prominent link at the top should probably go to the main GLAM page, and even in the text it might make sense to spell out what GLAM means somewhere near the top. It took me over five minutes to figure out it didn't mean "Gay, Lesbian, something, and something".

Lemme second the notion more strongly. This needs to happen. There's no explanation or notes and I've always assumed Wikipedians with this newsletter in their talk pages are simply expressing their gay pride/advocacy/awareness. NTTAWWT & you don't need to change your acronym, since you apparently enjoy it, but you need to make it clearer what you're actually doing if you want this to be successful outreach instead of a cute inside joke. LlywelynII (talk) 07:07, 12 October 2015 (UTC)

Attempts to start up a new ambassador program[edit]

Hi! I'm here to kind of make a suggestion and a bit of a plea for help. A group of us on the English Wikipedia are trying to relaunch the ambassador program, which became inactive. Previously this only focused on the classroom side of things and there has been a consensus that any relaunch should include GLAM, since there's definite need for ambassadors with this side of things as well. This could also be helpful when it comes to situations where an institution could benefit from having an on-site ambassador, but they're not quite ready for a WIR or anything quite so official. So far this is still in its opening, straggling stage and we're trying to make sure that everything is going to be covered. I think it'd be good for this to receive some sort of mention somewhere, since it'd be great to have some input from editors involved with GLAM and their help as well. Some of the things I've been looking for are things like identified noticeboards for GLAM - I can't see where there's really any place for people to ask questions akin to the Education noticeboard. The project page is here at present. Tokyogirl79 (talk) 08:39, 13 January 2016 (UTC)

Hi Tokyogirl79, The best way is probably to send an e-mail to the GLAM mailing list or user can help on this page. Romaine (talk) 12:17, 13 January 2016 (UTC)

irc #wikimedia-outreach[edit]

I tried to join the #wikimedia-outreach irc channel but it redirected me to #wikimedia instead. Is the channel active, and how do I join it? or does this page need to be updated? --mikeu talk 09:21, 31 January 2016 (UTC)

Book:Encyclopedia of Conservation and Restoration[edit]


Encyclopedia of Conservation and Restoration: Version 1.1

For the past 5 years or so I’ve been chipping away at a big idea: to create an Encyclopedia of Conservation and Restoration that is available to anyone in the world for free. I wanted this encyclopedia to be all encompassing, and to include many allied fields, also I wanted it to be easy to find, improve, and share. We first started by creating WikiProject Collections Care and then with the help from many interns, fellows, museum studies graduate students at both IUPUI and JHU, I present today Version 1.1 of this effort.

It is made entirely in Wikipedia and is available for download right now at this link:
Encyclopedia of Conservation and Restoration

As Version 1.1, this book has some great potential, but it really needs your help. Please look through it and consider what is missing, what’s working well, and what’s not. In general I believe the content is uneven, as many of the articles in it were also written by general Wikipedias interested in various parts of the topics. It needs more work to be broadly viable.

I decided to do this project in Wikipedia because it is one of the most visible web pages in the world, and when people search for a topic related to conservation and restoration I wanted them to be able to find accurate information that could help them make a good decision.

The vast majority of this work has been completed by my JHU Online Museum Studies graduate students, who for the past few years have written an article as part of the final project in my course, “Core Aspects of Conservation: A 21st Century Approach.”

I would particularly like to invite other allied graduate programs to consider using this project as a way to have other students work together on a globally significant effort. Have your students review this book, edit individual articles, or create new ones that you believe are missing.

Working together we could turn the Encyclopedia of Conservation and Restoration into a remarkable book that is used globally to great purpose. Some of the pages in this book have been translated to other languages, and there is certainly potentially to make it all available in other languages.

Thanks! --RichardMcCoy (talk) 01:03, 27 May 2016 (UTC)