|Please leave your feedback here only about the Outreach main page. General questions should be left at the Village pump. You can use the Add topic tab to start new discussion. Please sign your posts with a "~~~~" string.|
Enabling an opt-in preference for VisualEditor on Outreach wiki
I have been updating this wiki a lot lately, and I have been using VE elsewhere and find it really useful, and I would like to have it here too. SJ asked about this on Meta and James Forrester has since enabled it there (see discussion). VE tabs would not be visible to editors unless they opt in by turning on this beta feature. Is there any reason not to make VE available as an opt-in beta preference on Outreach? If installed here, will VE break pages? Thanks! :) Anna Koval (WMF) (talk) 13:10, 3 June 2014 (UTC)
"Universities" changed to "education programs"
I changed this because Wikipedia is used in education programs outside of universities. For example there is a biology high school teacher who has his students upload diagrams every year. --Pine✉ 08:47, 4 June 2014 (UTC)
- Thanks, Pine. :) You're absolutely right. The way it reads now is more inclusive. That's a good catch and a helpful edit. Anna Koval (WMF) (talk) 13:49, 4 June 2014 (UTC)
Upper right corner of main page
We had a logo for Outreach in the upper right corner that was redundant with the logo in the upper left corner in the navbar. I have boldly replaced the logo in the upper right corner with an outreach video. Comments? Pinging user:AKoval (WMF), User:Sage Ross (WMF), and user:Ktr101. --Pine✉ 20:03, 6 June 2014 (UTC)
- Bold indeed! ;) But not bad. Now that you've drawn my eye to this, I realize that I hadn't even noticed that we had the Outreach logo on the homepage twice -- first, in the upper left corner above the navigation and then again on the right inside the text box. Now that I think about it, it is unusual (and unnecessary?) to duplicate it. Good catch, Pine. :)
- That said, there may be those who felt pretty partial to that logo and might not like to see it displaced by anything. There might also be those who don't care to have his particular video on the homepage. No one commented one way or the other over the weekend, so that may not be an issue, but it's worth noting.
- I, personally, like this change, especially the still image that we see, with all the little Creative Commons logos in the background. It looks brighter and more visually engaging. Having a human on the homepage humanizes the wiki more. And using a non-English video exemplifies the international nature of our work.
- 300px was making the intro text wrap. 500px makes the text align or stack in a nice neat column.
- I'm not sure that the video caption is the best place for this sentence: "The Outreach wiki supports Wikipedia and its sister projects like Wikimedia Commons and Wikisource in all Wikimedia project languages." It was also making the caption a little long, in my opinion, so I was bold, too, and edited it out. Feel free to add it back. It might make more sense to include those details in the intro text on the left. But I'm not even sure that it's needed there. I like the intro text being shorter and sweeter. Less is more on a homepage, I tend to think. But it's not up to me, and I could easily be convinced otherwise. :)
- Thanks, Pine, for getting us thinking and talking about this. Anna Koval (WMF) (talk) 16:07, 9 June 2014 (UTC)
The video now placed on Main page is about Wikipedia only. But the wiki is not about just Wikipedia. It's Wikimedia outreach, not Wikipedia outreach. Perhaps the video should be moved to some wikipedia-specific pages? It is really good but it seems to me a bit forgetting about sister projects. --Base (talk) 12:40, 20 June 2014 (UTC)
- +1, The video should be moved to a wikipedia-specific page. --Steinsplitter (talk) 18:53, 20 June 2014 (UTC)
- That said, I still agree with Pine in thinking that the redundant logo should be replaced. And I do think a video is a good idea. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any (recent) "Welcome to Wikimedia: here's our whole movement in a nutshell" videos -- and if there isn't one, we should make one! Pinging Victor Grigas. ;)
- Nice People, Great Feeling, and Edit Button may be better choices than ¿Qué_es_Wikipedia? if the desire here is to be more broad in scope. If I had to choose one of those three, I'd probably pick Edit Button since it's got a clear call to action, and it's got a great still image in the preview (a young Tim Moritz Hector smiling), which is what people will see every time they load the page.
- Hey all, 126.96.36.199 helpfully pointed out at Talk:Education that W:Wikipedia:Contributing to Wikipedia has gotten quite the facelift lately! And I noted that they're using the same video there that I suggested we use here on the main page of Outreach wiki. It's got a really great caption now, too. :) Anna Koval (WMF) (talk) 13:54, 4 July 2014 (UTC)
- Impact of Wikipedia would be a better choice, as there are at least some videos in there that include mention of sister projects. The video here of Dumisani Ndubane talking about Wikiversity for example:
- Also, I'm currently on a Chromebook and when I played the video no English subtitles were viewable. I'm a bit ignorant of the player controls, but could not see anything other than fullscreen, volume and playbar. Leighblackall (talk) 21:41, 29 November 2015 (UTC)
The collapsed sections, and the "» more" links (aka. w:mystery meat navigation), were frustrating me every time I visited this main page. I've attempted to fix this, whilst minimizing change to all the translated units. Feel free to revert, if my attempt is flawed, but please suggest (or attempt, or draft) alternate approaches. Hope that helps. :) Quiddity (talk) 20:05, 6 November 2014 (UTC)
- That looks fine to me, as I would also suggest making the video smaller and moving it down a bit or into the white section, since it could fill in some of the white space that is there now. Besides, I feel it is too wide currently, but that is just my opinion. Kevin Rutherford (talk) 21:50, 7 November 2014 (UTC)