By Andy Mabbett (
Further reading, listening and viewing
- Automatically Generating Wikipedia Info-boxes from Wikidata, by Tomás Sáez and Aidan Hogan
- Linking ImageNet WordNet Synsets with Wikidata, by Finn Årup Nielsen
- Towards a Question Answering System over the Semantic Web, by Dennis Diefenbach et al.
- Practical Linked Data Access via SPARQL: The Case of Wikidata, by Markus Krötzsch et al.
- Data on the history of Scottish witch trials added to Wikidata, by John Lubbock
- WDCM Journal: gender equity in Wikidata usage
- Talk by Morane Gruenpeter and Katherine Thornton, presented at LibrePlanet 2018 about software metadata in Software Heritage and Wikidata. Video of the talk. Slides for the talk.
- Wikidata: Knowledge as a Service, by martin Poulter
- Mind the (Language) Gap: Generation of Multilingual Wikipedia Summaries from Wikidata for ArticlePlaceholders by Lucie-Aimée Kaffee et al.
- Semantic labelling for quantitative data using Wikidata, by Phuc Nguyen and Hideaki Takeda
- OpenStreetMap Interview: Andy Mabbett, Wikidata and OSM - The OpenCage Geocoder blog
- Geokeo Osm geocoding api - Geokeo fast and accurate geocoding
- How we’re using machine learning to visually enrich Wikidata, by Miriam Redi on WMF's blog
- Making women more visible online—with Wikidata tools by Sandra Fauconnier on WMF's blog
- Mix'n'Match new features:
- The property suggestions were updated (the last update was in December 2017). The most noticeable effect is the higher ranking of "family name" (P734) on items about people.
- you can use this page if you encounter problems with suggester ranking
- New search code for Wikidata merged. You may notice the improvement in the search results output for Wikidata item.
- Significantly (on average by 75%) reduced the number of changes from Wikidata showing up on the watchlists and recent changes on Wikipedias and the other sister projects.
- Wikidata:Database reports/Constraint violations updated
- WDQS updater switched to Kafka
- If you're working with Lua modules, you can give input here about new functions
- When there is a constraint violation in a reference, the reference is now automatically expanded to make it more visible (phab:T177970)
- Fixed some translation issues in the embeded part of the Query Service (phab:T188990)
- Fixed an issue with usernames being broken for Wikidata changes in watchlist and RC on Wikipedia (phab:T189320)
- Optimizing a heavily used database table (wb_terms) (phab:T188279)
You can see all open tickets related to Wikidata here.
You are invited to comment on all open property proposals.
In this issue
No comments yet. Yours could be the first!
Check back for a new edition next month.