GLAM/Newsletter/March 2018/Contents/WMF GLAM report
Structured Data on Commons; Upcoming events and travel
Structured Data on Commons
In March, a community consultation about structured metadata for copyright and licenses on Wikimedia Commons took place. It is very interesting to read through the insightful discussion that took place. Many thanks to all who participated!
In this new quarter, we announce new GLAM-related activities on Structured Commons in the following two areas. You can expect updates on Commons, and via the GLAM-Wiki mailing lists and other communication channels about these in the upcoming months:
- We start working on mapping GLAM metadata schemas to Wikimedia Commons, in order to make GLAM uploads to Wikimedia more smooth and easy.
- We start to invite and support a diverse set of pilot GLAM-Wiki projects that use Structured Data on Commons. These will be the first GLAM-Wiki projects that use the new technology on Commons. They will be documented well, so that everyone can learn from them, and be inspired. We collect the first candidate projects during the Wikimedia Conference. Do you have ideas for a suitable project already? Get in touch with Sandra at sandrafwikimedia.org!
We are still growing the GLAM focus group for Structured Commons. It is a group of GLAM staff around the world who are willing to advise and provide feedback regularly in the upcoming months and years. GLAM staff from Africa, Asia, the MENA region and Latin America would be especially welcome; feel free to invite people if you know they would be interested! More info can be obtained from Sandra at sandrafwikimedia.org.
Upcoming events and travel
The GLAM team at the Foundation is going to be at the following community events and conferences, and will hold several presentations and workshops. Join us, and/or let us know if you'd like to meet up!
- April 13-15: Creative Commons Global Summit, Toronto (Alex)
- April 18-22: Wikimedia Conference, Berlin (including Learning Days) (Sandra, Alex, Ben)
- Wikidata and Commons workflows session (pre-conference Learning Days)
- Session about Structured Data on Commons and GLAM pilot projects (main conference)
- May 10-12: Yerevan 2800, Armenia (Sandra)
- May 14-16: EuropeanaTech, Rotterdam (Ben, Sandra)
- Various sessions during the main conference program (May 15-16)
- Wikidata and Commons workshop day (May 14)
- May 18-20 Wikimedia Hackathon, Barcelona (Sandra)
- Australia report
- Belgium report
- Brazil report
- Côte d'Ivoire report
- Czech Republic report
- Estonia report
- Finland report
- France report
- Germany report
- India report
- Ireland report
- Italy report
- Macedonia report
- Serbia report
- Spain report
- Sweden report
- Ukraine report
- USA report
- Special story
- Wikidata report
- WMF GLAM report