Wikipedia Education Program/Wikimania 2012
Are you interested in Wikipedia Education Program and attending Wikimania 2012 in Washington, D.C.? You're in the right place! This page serves to organize information about education-related Wikimania attendees.
Wikimania Education Meet-Up: You're Invited!
Please join the Wikipedia Education Program and the Saylor Foundation for the first Wikipedia in Education Meet-Up at Wikimania!
Who: Anyone interested in Wikipedia and education
What: Wikimania Education Meet-Up
When: Friday, July 13, 5:30 – 7:30 p.m.
Where: Saylor Foundation offices, 1000 Wisconsin Ave NW
Directions: The Saylor Foundation offices are a 15-20 minute walk from the Wikimania venue, or you can take the DC Circulator bus for $1. From the Wikimania venue, you'll take the Georgetown - Union Station route -- get on in the direction of Georgetown at the stop on 21st St. between K St. & Pennsylvania Ave. Go three stops to the Lower K St. NW/Wisconsin Ave., which is across the street from the Saylor Foundation offices. From the Dupont Circle area, you'll take the Dupont - Rosslyn - Georgetown route -- get on in the direction of Rosslyn at the stop on 19th St. NW/N St. Go six stops to M St. NW/Wisconsin Ave. Walk two blocks south (down hill) on Wisconsin Avenue toward the Potomac River. The Saylor Foundation offices are at the corner of Lower K Street and Wisconsin Avenue.
We'll provide soft drinks and dinner; just bring yourself and your comments, questions, and stories about Wikipedia's use in education! We'll help celebrate the accomplishments of the programs around the world and learn from each other's experiences so far. Professors, Ambassadors, students, program organizers, and anyone else interested in Wikimedia Foundation projects and their use in education are welcome to attend.
Questions? Email LiAnna Davis at ldaviswikimedia.org or leave a message on the talk page.
If you're interested, please add your name below. Feel free to ask us to contact you via email or on your home wiki if you don't check the outreach wiki much; just let us know how to find you!
- List of people interested in coming to Wikimania (add a % of likelihood of your attendance)
- -- LiAnna Davis (WMF) (talk) (100%)
- Annie Lin (Wikimedia Foundation) (talk) 23:51, 21 March 2012 (UTC) (100%)
Brest (talk) 00:23, 22 March 2012 (UTC)(not receive a scholarship)
- Debaser42 (talk) 15:20, 22 March 2012 (UTC) (90%)
- --Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 15:35, 22 March 2012 (UTC)
- --Thelmadatter (100%)
- AbhiSuryawanshi (talk) 16:16, 22 March 2012 (UTC) (Depends on Scholarship)
- --Rangilo Gujarati (talk) 16:29, 22 March 2012 (UTC) (Got the scholarship and visa too, so 100%)
- Etlib (talk) 16:35, 22 March 2012 (UTC) (50%)if proposal not accepted; 100% if proposal accepted
- Ram (talk) 16:50, 22 March 2012 (UTC) (100% - if I get scholarship :)
- GorillaWarfare (talk) 16:58, 22 March 2012 (UTC) (Somewhat dependent on the scholarship, though I'll probably try to scrape up money to go even if I don't get a scholarship...)
- --Srikeit (talk)
- -- Crtew (talk) 18:00, 22 March 2012 (UTC) (I am 99.99 percent sure. I'm attending as a WEP participant and as a Wikinewsie for Wikinews.)
- Devanshi (talk) (Depends on Scholarship)
- Dcoetzee (talk) 21:16, 22 March 2012 (UTC) (already registered)
- Donald Albury (talk) 03:05, 23 March 2012 (UTC) (75% Dependent on getting time off from work approved)
- --Guerillero 13:47, 23 March 2012 (UTC) (50%, Fri/Sat as a day trip most likely)
- IbrahimPsy111 (talk) 17:53, 23 March 2012 (UTC) (100%)
- Doaasaifeldine (talk) 21:05, 23 March 2012 (Depends on Scholarship)
- --Cindamuse (talk) (depends on scholarship)
- sonia (if receiving scholarship)
- Orderinchaos 03:47, 24 March 2012 (UTC) (if receiving scholarship)
- Pfancher (talk) 14:33, 24 March 2012 (UTC) (I'll be there for sure)
- Pharos (talk) 00:38, 25 March 2012 (UTC)
- Jeroen De Dauw (talk) 17:55, 25 March 2012 (UTC) (80%)
- Ezalvarenga (talk) 23:32, 25 March 2012 (UTC) (100%)
- Kgorman-ucb (talk) 20:02, 26 March 2012 (UTC) (potentially dependent on scholarship, though I'll try to go either way)
- Ayaita (talk) 20:02, 26 March 2012 (UTC) (depends on scholarship)
- --Chmee2 (talk) 07:59, 9 May 2012 (UTC) with talk about protected areas, where I will shortly speak about my cooperation with Charles University
- Vlsergey (talk) 23:36, 11 May 2012 (UTC) (depends on visa)
--Vojtech.dostal (talk) 20:41, 20 May 2012 (UTC) 99%
- --GlimmerPhoenix (talk) 22:22, 28 May 2012 (UTC) (100%)
- Vini 175 (talk) 17:19, 7 June 2012 (UTC) (100%)
- Slowking4 (talk) 20:55, 7 June 2012 (UTC) (50%)
- Pjthepiano (talk) 02:30, 11 June 2012 (UTC)
- IbrahimPsy111 (talk) 12:51, 11 June 2012 (UTC)
- Alhen (talk) 19:57, 11 June 2012 (UTC)
- Jwild (talk) 01:02, 14 June 2012 (UTC)
- Elly Koepf (WMDE) (talk) 16:53, 14 June 2012 (UTC)
- Denis Barthel (WMDE) (talk) 12:48, 18 June 2012 (UTC)
- Kels.bran (talk) 15:44, 21 June 2012 (UTC)
- Lechatjaune (talk) 22:05, 21 June 2012 (UTC)
- --Lpagola (talk) 00:28, 22 June 2012 (UTC) 100% I'll be there :)
- GastelEtzwane (talk) 09:17, 24 June 2012 (UTC) 100% for me as well.
- Nurbek Matzhani (talk) 03:51, 26 June 2012 (UTC)
- Rauank (talk) 03:52, 26 June 2012 (UTC)
- 18.104.22.168 05:00, 2 July 2012 (UTC)
- Deryck Chan (talk) 09:32, 3 July 2012 (UTC) 100% attending Wikimania, 75% attending the meal. I'm WMUK campus ambassador to Cambridge University, and Wikimania 2013 Hong Kong organizing team.
- Sadads (talk) 16:54, 3 July 2012 (UTC) Not at Wikimania but will try to make my way to the meetup 75%
- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 01:10, 4 July 2012 (UTC) (100% at Wikimania, 80% at this meetup)
- Discott (talk) 08:05, 5 July 2012 (UTC) (Will be at Wikimania, will most likely be at this meetup)
- NusHub (talk) 08:58, 5 July 2012 (UTC) (80% at this meetup. I'm not a student anymore but I find this program fantastic and would like to learn more about the program and look for its potential to be adapted into different community, such as the agricultural research community)
- Bejinhan (talk) 14:33, 5 July 2012 (UTC) Most definitely
- Sgelbman (talk) 14:36, 5 July 2012 (UTC) (likely to attend)
- SteveFoerster (talk) 20:39, 5 July 2012 (UTC) Definitely attending, as I'm a big Saylor Foundation fan. Best reached by email to steve at hiresteve dot com
- MichChemGSI(talk) 100% attending
- 22.214.171.124 01:01, 6 July 2012 (UTC)
- --Frank Schulenburg (talk) 10:26, 6 July 2012 (UTC)
- Ocastro (talk) 17:58, 6 July 2012 (UTC)
- Teemu (talk) 22:17, 6 July 2012 (UTC)
- Dmitri Lytov 04:03, 8 July 2012 (UTC) Strongly interested.
- MartinPoulter (talk) 01:33, 10 July 2012 (UTC) 100%
- Marcus Qwertyus (talk) 20:26, 10 July 2012 (UTC) mschierbeckergmail.com 99.9%
- Hannibal //126.96.36.199 11:57, 12 July 2012 (UTC)
- Jeroen De Dauw (talk) 16:48, 12 July 2012 (UTC)
- GlimmerPhoenix (talk) 18:37, 12 July 2012 (UTC)
- Manumitany (talk) 20:11, 12 July 2012 (UTC) (100%)
- ToniSant (talk) 20:13, 12 July 2012 (UTC) (99%)
- Illuminatusds (talk) 20:56, 12 July 2012 (UTC) (90%)
- vVvA2012 (talk) 21:11, 12 July 2012 (UTC)
- Ctrala (talk) 22:19, 12 July 2012 (UTC) (99%)
- Groupuscule (talk) 22:23, 12 July 2012 (UTC) (67%))
- Peter.C (talk) 03:15, 13 July 2012 (UTC) (100%)
- Eloquence (talk) 12:12, 13 July 2012 (UTC)
- Greg G (talk) 13:57, 13 July 2012 (UTC) (95%)
- Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy 19:13, 13 July 2012 (UTC)
- Manuel de Sousa (talk) 20:35, 13 July 2012 (UTC)(100%)
- --Ainali (talk) 20:36, 13 July 2012 (UTC)
- Haxpett (talk) 20:54, 13 July 2012 (UTC)
Ideas for what we should do
- Campus Ambassadors from all countries get together
- Group discussion about how to improve the Campus Ambassador and Online Ambassador orientation/training
- Discuss how the Wikipedia Education program collaborates with chapters who have started university outreach
- Learning from IEP
- Discuss how ambassadors and professors can work together to publish an article or book about our experiences (e.g., edited monograph, etc.)
- Incorporate the sister projects into WEP outreach.
- Group Activities to know each other and share experience.
- Video Diary of Campus Ambassadors experiences.
- Joint presentation by a couple of WMF Outreach staff members and a couple of WEP Ambassador Steering Committee members offering an overview of the restructuring of the Wikipedia Education Program and Ambassador Program to include implementing functional teams where individuals community-wide may participate according to their interests, talents, and strengths. The five functional teams at this point include (Class, Student, and Ambassador Coordination); (Recruitment, Training, and Orientation); (Communications); (Recognition and Retention); and (Program Planning and Development). Do you see yourself successfully functioning within one of these groups?
- An education meetup either at lunchtime or after one of the days?
- For the US education program, we might hook up with the Wikimedians Active in Local Regions of the United States meeting
- Ask PeerWise if they will open source for Wikiversity.
- Involving langugae students in translation efforts: "your homework today is..."
- Assign subject matter experts to review the diff queues of articles of particular concern in languages with proportionally above average numbers of readers than editors.
- Discuss the integration of various educational approaches: outreach to schools, universities, seniors (according to the Wikimedia DE model). Use of synergies, integrated documentation approach, based on a common base and specific content according to the various target groups.
- Organize the process by which we are going to gather documentation created in various places all over the world in one place (e.g. Outreach wiki), so we can learn from each other and do not re-invent the wheel all over again.
- Your idea here!