GLAM/Newsletter/April 2013/Contents/Netherlands report
GLAM WIKI UK; Wiki loves Sound; Wikipedian in Residence; Wiki loves Libraries; Wikipedia Training National Museum of Ethnology
GLAM WIKI London
GLAM WIKI was very inspiring and loaded with practical information. It has lead to several ideas for projects in the Netherlands. We will discuss these within our chapter and with others chapters in the upcoming weeks. Examples of projects that we are interested in to repeat in the Netherlands are:
- Set up the digital benchmark for the cultural sector that was presented by Nick Poole
- Research the Open Data and Crowdsourcing readiness of GLAMs, which Beat Estermann presented
Several Dutch participants gave a presentation/hosted a workshop during the conference:
- Lizzy Jongma and Geer Oskam where keynote speakers
- Maarten Zeinstra talked about the GLAM Wiki Toolset
- Sandra Fauconnier, Joris Pekel and Sebastiaan ter Burg hosted a workshop on licenses
The hackathon was used to create the bot for the sound donation by The Netherlands Institute For Sound and Vision.
Wiki loves sound
Wiki Loves Sound is a new initiative to promote use of sound in Wikimedia projects. The progress in april was:
- 1838 of the 2300+ donated sounds by The Netherlands Institute For Sound and Vision have been transcoded and uploaded to Commons.
- A Dutch spoken instructional video about adding sounds was made.
- 50+ sounds were added to Wikipedia pages during an editathon. The sounds ranged from bird sounds to throwing up.
- A workshop radio plays was organized. The radio play only used sounds from the Wiki loves sound project.
- A live remix performance by Machinefabriek in which he only used sounds of this project.
Wikipedians in Residence
Interest in opening up a position for a Wikipedian in Residence is increasing in The Netherlands. The first WiR is expected to start in Q4 of 2013. More specific information cannot be given at this time due to the internal preparation of the involved organisations.
Wiki loves Libraries
It has been quiet around the project "Wiki loves libraries" lately. Talks with new potential partners, like BiSC, also have reestablished contact with previous involved organizations. A brainstorm for strategic cooperation in 2014 is now being prepared by WMNL and BiSC.
Wikipedia Training National Museum of Ethnology
A basic editing training was given to students and employees of the National Museum of Ethnology in Leiden.
Wiki Loves Sound
I would like to help with natural sounds - is there a project page somewhere? --Daniel Mietchen (talk) 23:46, 8 May 2013 (UTC)
- So far I know in Dutch only at wmnl:Wiki Loves Sound. Sounds were uploaded to Commons:Category:Sounds from Geluid van Nederland to be checked. Romaine (talk) 01:14, 9 May 2013 (UTC)