Meeting Europeana; Conference News
By Andy Mabbett (
WikidataCon is coming
- With 200 attendees, WikidataCon the Wikidata Conference, on 28 & 29 October, is now fully booked. The WikidataCon programme is also published. If you registered on the waitlist or submitted a talk, check your mailbox for more information.
Europeana R&D and Wikidata meeting
Liam Wyatt (GLAMwiki Community Manager, Europeana), and Sandra Fauconnier (WMF's community liaison) met with Europeana R&D staff to explore collaboration possibilities around the forthcoming Structured Data on Commons project. Europeana has worked closely with many Wikimedia affiliates and projects over the years, including development of the GLAMwiki Toolset mass upload tool, organising the Art History Challenge - the largest ever GLAM-Wiki competition (and also the largest to be hosted on Wikidata), and the recently concluded Europeana 1914-1918 challenge (winners to be announced shortly).
Europeana is currently developing its own knowledge graph, the Entity Collection. A selection of more than 300,000 shared resources (people, locations and general subjects) that interlink the GLAM collections available through their services. Europeana is interested in connecting this entity collection to (and getting more data from) Wikidata, for mutual benefit, and has also recently published a case study that encourages its data partners to link their own vocabularies to Wikidata.
Valentine Charles (Europeana's Data R&D coordinator) and Liam Wyatt will be present at WikidataCon (see above), leading a round-table discussion on GLAM data and Wikidata.
Further reading and viewing
- New user scripts
- Overpass - adds a map showing features tagged, in OpenStreetMap, with the ID of the current Wikidata item, if any
- moveClaim.js - allows claims to be moved across items.
- Language codes
zun are now available for monolingual text values
- New external tools
- WD edits stats counting edits made on a certain dataset between two dates
- d3-sparql allows you to query a SPARQL endpoint and get the data in a d3js-useful format
- Language fallback indicators hidden on variant fallback languages
- Citation.js: Endpoint on RunKit shows a demo REST API to convert Wikidata entries into BibTeX, Bib.TXT, citations, and CSL-JSON.
You are invited to comment on all open property proposals.
No comments yet. Yours could be the first!