GLAM/Newsletter/May 2015/Contents/Wikidata report
Jump to navigation Jump to search
SPARQL and arbitrary access are coming
- MusicBrainz is migrating to Wikidata for Wikipedia links
- Dynamic lists on Wikipedia based on Wikidata data
- Some demo lists and other Open Access-related Wikidata news are in the Open Access report.
- Andy Mabbett gave a talk, "Authority control in Wikipedia and its sister projects" in Doha, Qatar - see the Arabic region report for details. He travelled from there directly to Barcelona to give a similar talk, on "ORCID in Wikipedia and its sister projects"; see the Catalan areas report. Naturally, Wikidata featured prominently in both talks.
- arbitrary access to Wikidata facts is being rolled out to various Wikipedias in turn
- New manual for adding inventory numbers to paintings on Wikidata
- English Wikipedia is running a bot to add authority control templates to many articles that are filled completely from Wikidata. Italian Wikipedia is doing so as well; others will follow.
- Wikimedia Hackathon 2015 was held in Lyon from 23-25 May. Some of the activities and outcomes:
- A early preview of the primary SPARQL endpoint for Wikidata has been created to query Wikidata. Remember that it is not stable and still beta. A short introduction to SPARQL can be found in Lucie's slides.
- If you are not familiar with SPARQL yet, a tool has been created by Tpt and Bene* to generate SPARQL queries from natural language questions.
- To do SPARQL queries from the command line, a command line tool was crafted by Marius.
- Blog post: Visualizing history with automated event maps
- Over 100 timeline of famous painters by Histropedia
- Travelling this summer? Find items needing pictures around you with WikiShootMe
- A list of GLAM-related Wikidata pages is at d:Wikidata:GLAM
- Name Assigning Authority Number
- CERL ID (identifier in the Consortium of European Research Libraries thesaurus)
- Netflix Identifier
- after a work by
- list of characters
- Web Gallery of Art identifier
- vice-county (used in British Isles biological recording)
- Dictionary of Medieval Names from European Sources entry
- BNC identifier (Biblioteca Nacional de Chile authority file ID)
- OpenPlaques plaque identifier
- Fauna Europaea ID
- Librivox author ID
- BALaT person/organisation id (identifier for person or organisation in the People & Institutions database of Belgian Art Links & Tools (BALaT), maintained by KIK-IRPA, Belgium's Royal Institute for Cultural Heritage)
- Spotify artist ID
- Australian Dictionary of Biography identifier
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission person identifier
For full Wikidata news, see the weekly status updates.
+ Add a commentDiscuss this story
To follow comments, add the page to your watchlist. If your comment has not appeared here, you can try .
No comments yet. Yours could be the first!
Want the latest edition delivered to your talk page each month?