WMF GLAM report
1Lib1Ref, Wikimedia Sweden Research and other updates
The Wikipedia Library team published a retrospective on the 2019 1Lib1Ref campaign this month. You can read the summary version on Wikimedia Space and the full report on Medium. Key takeaways included continued expansion of the reach and impact of the event, the need to continue supporting a community organising team, and the value of proactive outreach to underrepresented communities.
1Lib1Ref will be taking place on the same dates in 2020. You can join in between January 15th and February 5th as well as May 15th to June 5th. Organise an event with your local library and librarians, support new contributors, or just add a citation! Read more about how you can participate.
Wikimedia Sweden Research Update
The GLAM team is preparing various pieces of research that will help to inspire the work by Wikimedia Sverige to build better technical and social infrastructure for Wikimedia content partnerships. This research will help to understand which interventions and technologies are most needed around the world.
- GLAM Mapping: research on past GLAM-Wiki projects documented in This Month in GLAM, in various affiliate reports and other on-wiki venues
- Research on international datasets and indicators that help us better understand the potential of Wikimedia content partnerships around the world (starting in 2020)
- Two regional deep dives in which the insights of the datasets and indicators research will be applied to the specific situation in Latin America and the ESEAP (East, South East Asia and the Pacific) region.
This research will soon be documented on the Meta page: WMSE-WMF joint initiative concerning GLAM communities of practice.
Other goings on
- We have been busy on Structured Data on Commons. Check out the report.
- The Wikimedia Foundation is working with UN Human rights to promote coverage of Human Rights topics on Wikimedia Projects: check out the special report to learn more.
- The team is busy screening and interviewing candidates for Senior Program Manager, GLAM and Culture position. We are excited about the diversity of experiences that candidates could bring to the Wikimedia ecosystem.
- Open GLAM -- a team of partners from the Wikimedia Foundation, Creative Commons, Euopeana and others are working together on revitalizing OpenGLAM work -- if you haven’t caught it, check out the community page on Meta: Open GLAM
- Community Wishlist Survey 2020 is open and unlike previous years is focused on the smaller Sister projects (not Wikidata, Commons or Wikipedia). The GLAM-Wiki community has often show up heavily in the wishlist voting and idea sharing: please join the conversation. We also created a special Wikisource report about the wishlist: Read it here.