GLAM/Newsletter/May 2017/Contents/WMF GLAM report
Documentation, Categorization and Reviewing what we know!
Case Study Portal and Newsletter Categorization drive need your support!
This month, Alex focused heavily on reviewing and revising the framework for documentation on the GLAM portal on outreach. First, by finishing the second of two portals focused on different project models used within the Wikimedia community: GLAM/Sharing_Knowledge which accompanies GLAM/Digital collections. These pages are drafts based on what Alex has been learning from Wikimedia communities what tactics they have employed throughout the years.
As part of the project, Alex has developed a draft new portal for entering the GLAM project models and Case Studies: Join the conversation here.
Additionally, in collaboration with the Education team at the Wikimedia Foundation, Alex deployed a new structured form with prompts to help folks create high quality case studies: see the initial section of the Case studies page.
One of the outcomes of the GLAM coordinators meeting in February, was an identified need for improving the organization of content in the GLAM-Wiki Newsletter. After a second meeting at WMCON in March, a small working group determined that one of the low hanging fruit would be categorizing This Month in GLAM to better make it usable for future analysis and facilitation of its usage for others. The page for the project is at this link.
You can help!
There are several ways that you can help:
- Join the conversation about the new portal
- Join the categorization drive
- Write a case study of one of your projects
Alex has provided consultations, including:
- An referral of an U.S. Organization interested in Women in Sports, from WMCH
- A project that Library and Archives Canada is developing with Wikimedia Canada
- Music in Canada Wikidata Project
- Creative Commons is initiating design of a OpenGLAM framework related to Creative Commons licenses
- GLAMpipe team
- Documentation of the Math Video Project at Sau Paulo (see blog post below)
- Several other referrals from within the WMF
From the WMF Blog
Several GLAM and heritage projects have been highlighted in the WMF blog, including:
- Czech–Polish ‘Wikiexpedition’ ends with over three thousand photos of historic Silesia
- Pairing videos with math: Illustrating mathematical concepts in Brazil
- You can now add automatically generated citations to millions of books on Wikipedia