Galleries • Libraries • Archives • Museums
Email the team: glamwikimedia.org
GLAM professionals and their institutions are encouraged to contribute to the Wikimedia projects, including the well-known Wikipedia. This page helps to explain how Wikipedia can help make an impact in your institution.
Why should I contribute to Wikimedia?
- Like your institution, our goal is to preserve heritage and history.
- Wikimedia is a well-tested platform for digitisation, with established best practices and a huge online audience.
- Innovative partnerships with Wikimedia can translate into publicity for your institution.
- We are a fellow nonprofit movement.
How can I help?
- Wikipedia is the world's most popular not-for-profit website and the world's largest encyclopedia. Your institution can create or enhance Wikipedia articles, provide resources to help those writing articles, and assist with research.
- Wikimedia Commons is the free media repository used by Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects. Your institution can contribute images, video, and other media, as well as meta-data and media descriptions.
- Wikisource is a free library of primary sources, featuring transcribed manuscripts. Your institution can provide manuscripts for scanning and uploading, as well as assistance with transcription.