Galleries • Libraries • Archives • Museums
Email the team: glamwikimedia.org
GLAM professionals and their institutions are encouraged to contribute to the Wikimedia projects, including the well-known Wikipedia. This page helps to explain how Wikipedia can help make an impact in your institution.
Why should I contribute to Wikimedia?
- Like your institution, our goal is to preserve heritage and history.
- Wikimedia is a well-tested platform for digitisation, with established best practices and a huge online audience.
- Innovative partnerships with Wikimedia can translate into publicity for your institution.
- We are a fellow nonprofit movement.
How can I help?
- Wikipedia is the world's most popular not-for-profit website and the world's largest encyclopedia. Your institution can create or enhance Wikipedia articles, provide resources to help those writing articles, and assist with research. Frequently, institutions can help fill gaps on Wikipedia around key topic important to your organization or systematically underrepresented on Wikipedia.
- Wikimedia Commons is the free media repository used by Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects. Your institution can contribute images, video, and other media, as well as meta-data and media descriptions.
- Wikisource is a free library of primary sources, featuring transcribed manuscripts. Your institution can provide manuscripts for scanning and uploading, as well as assistance with transcription.
- Wikidata is the multilingual, linked, structured open data project in the Wikimedia Community. Wikidata helps share key structured information and data between Wikimedia projects, and associates these data items with identifier and records throughout the Open Data ecosystem. Institutions can integrate Wikidata into existing metadata projects and donating openly licensed data to Wikidata strengthens the collective record.